Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Being fussed over in a shop, like it or not?  (Read 6697 times)

sandy

Being fussed over in a shop, like it or not?
« on: September 21, 2009, 12:58:22 pm »
I am just thinking about going out to exchange my too small (sure they have put the wrong size in them) trousers at Asda, now when I started to look at the trousers a lovely sales women came to help and she was very nice, went off to get a better choice from the warehouse etc etc and said she would put away the larger size(how did she know?) of trousers and hide them away, just in case!!!! I was very happy and wanted to commend her to management as she was soo nice, anyway, I then went to Tesco to buy some makeup, I went with my OH to buy some basics so did not want to be long, the same happened again, a very sweet women even started recomending other stuff for me, opening packs and putting stuff on my face...I bought the new shade as advised and now think I look a bit like Barbera Cartland....before she died!!! anyway, to sum up, I would much rather be left alone in shops to do my own deciding but I feel so ungrateful as bless them, they were both very nice. What do other people think?

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Being fussed over in a shop, like it or not?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 01:00:22 pm »
Go to any branch of Slaters Menswear and you have a million assistants trying ot help, I hate it - give me peace. If I want help I will ask!

sandy

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 01:03:59 pm »
It has a brain washing effect on me, I either buy wsomething I don't ereally want to buy nothing to get out of the shop!!! :)  stupid keyboard again!!! :-[
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 01:36:31 pm by sandy »

sandy

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 01:06:00 pm »
Just thought!!! I sometimes have to get help as they put things high up and as I am 5ft 1" I give up trying to jump up to see sizes so have to ask!!!!!!!

urban farmer

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 02:18:01 pm »
Hate it.   Maybe I am just  young 'old grouch' but I find busy shops totally overwhelming.  I now send the girlfriend by mutual consent as I lose count of the mount of times I have thrown a strop and left the whole weeks shopping in the trolley and stormed out!  Is it me??

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 03:10:29 pm »
pc world and electrical stores are horrible for that.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 03:32:50 pm »
I hate the big electrical shops, where they seem to have hundreds of sales people waiting to pounce.  Surely we are all able to ask for help and advise if we need it ......maybe they think we are going to look and they disappear to their rivals (well, yes, I do, to check the prices!!)

I too am only 5ft1ins, and when I want something from a high shelf, there is no assistant to be seen!!!!

Yes, I would rather be left to shop in peace.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 03:43:05 pm »
You chase the hoardes of assistants away and ofcourse when you need one for assistance - can you find one??? NO!

sandy

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 03:46:23 pm »
The strange thing is both my partner and my daughters partner never look around a shop, they look for an assistant and ask as soon as they get in the door!!!! My OH and I used to toddle off to Harrods as we went to London at least once a month, he would always ask to be shown things and the staff would happily unwrap and unfold stuff as I got hotter as I knew he had no intention of buying anything AND, he used to have very long curly blone hair that he never combed and wear holey jogging bottoms yet still get the service, once he was in a shop for 2 hours with a coat that he said was no longer waterproof, he bought it in a shop in Liverpool (where he was at Uni), then took it back to a shop in Oxford,(where he started to work) then it went back again after being sent to Germany to be checked out and he collected it from Nottingham and after 2 hours in that shop, he exchanged it for a more expensive coat, the man who served him deserved a medal, I had been all around Nottingham by the time he had finnished...Oh, he still has the coat:D
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 03:50:29 pm by sandy »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 08:11:05 pm »
If an assistant (that is why they are called that - to assist you ;)) comes up to me and asks 'can I help you'  I just say, 'that's very kind, but no thank you' and smile sweetly.  I don't find they are either hurt or offended by that, and it is sooooo easy to do it.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 01:48:51 pm »
Normally I want to be left alone, but there is one clothes shop I go to because the owner has such a good eye for what suits me (as in does my bum look big in this, lol), which colours work together, that I only buy my clothes there. She only comes to look when she's asked to, though.  :&>

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 04:11:55 pm »
There are of course two reasons why they're being nice to you:
1. they're honestly just nice people who enjoy talking to shoppers
2. they're trying to sweet talk you into buying more

For my own preferences, it depends what type of store I'm in and if I know what I'm after or will just flounder around for 5mins and then leave if I don't have assistance. Chain electrical stores.. no thanks, not interested in the sort of cheesy, smug "assistance" you usually get there. Clothing stores.. usually not, but sometimes it can be helpful (I actually really like the service in Slaters!).

But probably the most important thing to consider when deciding if I'm happy to be "assisted" or not is .. are they cute?  ;D

Lizmar

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Carrick on Suir - Tipperary Ireland
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 05:02:21 pm »
Ladies   
Anyone had one of those frumpy older ladies in the bra section?  Well I did :o I was happily trying on a bra, as you do, when in she came, hoisted me this way, grabbed me that way - I felt I was being assaulted. 
You have to picture it - she was no more than 5ft and I'm 5ft 9in, so 'boob height' she grabbed me - showed me where my boobs should be - then let go of the strap at the back, which felt like I'd been slapped.  She tugged at me then started fiddling with the straps on my shoulders (on a small step - obviously specially for her)I have to say after all that, the bra was an excellent fit, but an experience I don't want to repeat. 
Now when I go in the shop she rushes up and I run out ;D

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 05:03:55 pm »
If Carlsberg did shop assistants then it'd be Kuwait. One assistant greets ya with a brilliant/sincere smile and asks if you need any help,they then let you get on with it unless you said yes. I asked for a shirt in a different size that they didn't have in the shop,so then one guy makes me a coffee whilst I wait for his mate to get a taxi across town to the other store to get the right size!
  I detest the appalling customer (dis)service in the Uk and now wear headphones (whether they're plugged in or not) and ignore all shop assistants!!
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 09:14:00 pm »
Hey, what a brilliant idea - knew I needed an ipod!  Must get one soon. ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS