Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Llama Advice  (Read 3141 times)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
Llama Advice
« on: February 25, 2014, 11:03:15 am »
So after much discussion and thought, We are now going to look at some Llama's at the weekend to have as our sheep guards. I have no idea!

Can anyone shed some light on the day to day care, breeding and health of Llama's.
Are they similar to sheep to look after?
Sheared yearly?
What do you feed them?
Are they ok on good quality grass?
How do you castrate males?

Sorry for the very novice questions but we all have to start somewhere!

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
Re: Llama Advice
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 11:07:38 am »
Sorry can't help with the Llama's but I have been reading your sheep protection threads with interest.

What was your verdict on the bTB with camelids?  That was new to me and slightly scary that people weren't taking their animals to shows etc
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 11:20:51 am »
We have chosen the Llama's over the donkeys as they wont cope with our good grass and the alpaca's as I'm not sure they would take on a dog as they are only small!

I'm not 100% sure about this bTB, There are no tests unless they are dead so its hard to tell (as far as I can see from the net) But yes it is scary that people are taking affected animals to shows!

wayfarer

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 06:04:49 pm »
I used to keep a couple of alpacas and they are similar to llamas so I hope my comments are helpful.  They will need fresh water and ad lib hay available to them.  I used to supplement this with alfalfa pellets during winter and to keep them reasonably tame.  Unlike alpacas I don't believe that llamas need shearing every year although I think they do need grooming instead to stop their hair becoming all matted.  I got my vet to castrate my males once they started to get rather feisty.  I can't remember how old they were (18 months?) but they started to fight with each other and made me uneasy when I went in with them - and they were a lot smaller than your average llama. 

larrylamb

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 12:11:40 am »
Hi we have 3 llamas at the moment they say they spit at you but i have never had one spit at me they are easy to handle if you have to move them in a trailer they will lay down with there legs tucked under them also if you are moving them in the field or yard keep your hands up think of there eye height they will move by hand signals. I feed them goat mix not a lot about a pint jug each in the morning and hay just now then once the grass starts growing there fine they prefer short grass and love trees and hedges.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS