Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lump on sheeps face  (Read 16223 times)

artscott

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Methlick, Aberdeenshire
Lump on sheeps face
« on: February 25, 2014, 09:14:10 am »
My young ewe has developed a lump on her face, just behind the corner of her mouth.

It doesn't appear to be orf, no scabs etc, the lump is quite solid and (this is going to sound daft) has a squeaky/creaky feel to it.

None of the other sheep are affected, and the only change in them was that they were all Heptavac-p injected one and half weeks ago.

Anyone got any idea what it is?

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: Lump on sheeps face
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 09:28:56 am »
My first thought is abscess, maybe a tooth abscess there? If she'll let you, stick a thick hypodermic needle in it, and see if there's any liquid to suck out. If pus, lance it and give pen and strep for 3 days, or similar. If not, may need to show vet

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 11:22:40 am »
Winter and Charnley's The Sheep Keepers Veterinary Handbook has this to say:

Abscesses - can be found on any part of the body......if they appear around the head and neck they should always be a cause for concern.
1 - Caseous Lymphadenitis (CLA), a disease which is not amenable to treatment
2 - Actinobacillosis, a sporadic disease which can be treated

We had a young tup with what looked pretty much like your sheep's lump, which turned out to be CLA.  We spent weeks cleaning out the thick, solid-looking pus and giving LA antibiotics all to no avail.  In the end we had to call the disposal man with his captive bolt gun.

I have no idea what causes CLA, or if it's catching, but it sounds as if a consultation with your vet is in order.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 12:32:05 pm »
Found this link on CLA which sounds bad. http://www.nadis.org.uk/bulletins/caseous-lymphadenitis-%28cla%29.aspx

I have had a ram with a similar looking lump which turned out to be an abscess. Eventually cleared by using mastiject syringe of antibiotics directly into the cavity. The abscess was walled off from the body and systemic AB's didn't work.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 12:36:39 pm by kanisha »
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 01:09:33 pm »
One of our lambs las tyear had a similar lump.  Lanced and drained it of pus, Ab's and he was fine.  any doubt, pop her to the vets IMO. :fc:

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 05:05:08 pm »
CLA was my first thought, I think the pus itself it quite contagious so be sure to drain, clean and dispose of it well.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 05:26:57 pm »
is it hot to touch?

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 05:29:47 pm »
If you suspect CLA the best advice is get the sheep well away from your others, ask your vet to take samples, cull if it is CLA and test the rest of the sheep. It is contagious with the classic routes of spread being sheep butting heads and contaminated shearing equipment. Possibly Fleecewife ask your vet again about confirming CLA eradication in your flock being as you have had a positive diagnosis. 

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 06:52:05 pm »
The Moredun has done a lot of research on CLA, and it seems to be on the increase. Goats of course can get it too, may even be goats that brought it into the country (Boer imports) in the first place if I remember correctly...

However if this is a young ewe she may well have an abscess due to impacted/infceted teeth.

I would get her to the vet to investigate, as other have said if it is CLA you want to deal with it (for your whole flock) asap.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 11:17:31 pm »
If you suspect CLA the best advice is get the sheep well away from your others, ask your vet to take samples, cull if it is CLA and test the rest of the sheep. It is contagious with the classic routes of spread being sheep butting heads and contaminated shearing equipment. Possibly Fleecewife ask your vet again about confirming CLA eradication in your flock being as you have had a positive diagnosis.

It was several years ago and all clear since  :thumbsup:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 11:20:49 pm »
Good news  :sunshine:

artscott

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 08:15:07 am »
Thanks for all the advice, I think a trip to the vet is in order. 

Just to clarify, I had a good feel about last night.  The lump is quite solid, doesn’t feel squashy at all, it’s not joined at the jaw as I can get my fingers inside her mouth and feel it from the inside, seems to be just on her cheek.  It doesn’t feel hot to the touch and apart from me manhandling her she doesn’t seem distressed when I touch it.

I’ll let you know the diagnosis after I’ve seen the vet.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 11:04:28 am »
Are they anywhere near thorny hedges? Just a thought...

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 02:14:27 pm »
i presume sheep dont suffer from sarcoids like ponies do?

artscott

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 03:01:35 pm »
No, no thorns near them.

Vet checked the lump out and thinks it was tooth abscess.  Being last years lamb and just about a year old it’s probably the most likely thing.   We lanced it lanced and flushed it out, she is back in the field munching away quite happily.

I’ll keep an eye on just to make sure everything is OK.

Thanks again for all you suggestions

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS