Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: slapmarker  (Read 4179 times)

digit

• Joined Sep 2009
  • near Swansea
slapmarker
« on: September 20, 2009, 09:45:04 pm »
I was wondering if anyone could tell me where i can get a slapmarker from,i can only find one company that supplies them and they seem expensive.

BillyBerridge

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Nottinghamshire
Re: slapmarker
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 10:35:40 pm »
Try these most prices are very good,

www.msschippers.co.uk

You need to get an account to see prices on line.

If you P.m I could get you a price as my partner is there pig rep

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 11:40:17 pm »
Rosemary and Dan just marked theirs with a red marker pen I was told - would that not suffice for your abattoir?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

digit

• Joined Sep 2009
  • near Swansea
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 09:17:24 am »
Hi doganjo, I was told that your not always guaranteed you own pigs back from some of the big abattoirs and a slap marker is a more permanent way of marking them

kwillett

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 10:18:11 am »
Hi,

I am new to this forum, your pigs will either need an ear tag or a slap mark with your herd number on it to be able to go to slaughter.
A spray mark is ok for pigs under 6 months if they are being moved from holding to holding but is a temperary mark.

If you would like any further information about a slapkit then do not hesitate to contact me, I am a pig sales representative for msschippers UK and would be happy to help,

Regards

Kayleigh

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 11:25:19 am »
I bought mine from bidgiemire but it came direct from msschippers, when I looked it was actually cheaper from them ::) If you only have a few to do dont bother with the ink pad, just a toothbrush to 'ink up' the slapper will suffice and save a few £'s!

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 05:48:33 pm »
Try Ascott Smallholding Supplies I did a quick search on their site for 'pig' and it comes up on the second page at £79.99

www.ascott-dairy.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2eascott%2ddairy%2eco%2euk%2fcgi%2dbin%2fss000001%2epl%3fpage%3dsearch%26PR%3d%2d1%26TB%3dA%26SS%3dpig%26search%2ex%3d0%26search%2ey%3d0%26search%3dACTION&WD=pig&PN=Tattoo_and_Pig_Slapper%2ehtml%23aSM253#aSM253

Don't know if the link will work
Have you considered just putting in a metal tag, that's what I do, when they're eating and they hardly notice.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

BillyBerridge

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 06:10:01 pm »
Ouch! £79.99! If i remeber correctly msschippers markers are £13.50 + £2.95 each for letters!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 07:08:03 am »
I remember not so long ago friends sent their 2 free range, organically fed, GOS pigs to the local abattoir.  Oddly one came back without its head.  They didnt query this nor did they check the slap number.  So when the butcher came to cut them he found they had one really good GOS pig and one white intensively produced factory cardboard pig.  The give away was the second pig had a docked tail. 

Always check your slap mark number. 

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 09:10:19 am »
Slap marks are essential for tracing your carcass. at least one on each shoulder. Ear tags can be removed, but do work well. Maybe billy could supply us with good priced stuff from msschippers? a ecommerce oppertunity?
I have been asked what the number is on the rolled shoulder joint before, and was proud to say it proved the meat was from well reared stock.

kwillett

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 09:28:13 am »
I am msschippers pig rep, so if anyone is interested in any of our products and wants prices or more information on any of our products then do not hesitate to contact me, this will mean you wont have to go through Billy, unless you want to and Billy can go through me  ;)

If any one would be interested in our new catalogue then p'm me with your address and i will send you one out.

Kind Regards

Kayleigh

BillyBerridge

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 11:32:14 am »
Your better off speaking to ^^^^kayleigh ^^^^ for prices... thats my partner I mentioned! ;)

digit

• Joined Sep 2009
  • near Swansea
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 02:55:44 pm »
I pm'd Kayleigh and she given me some great prices,just waiting for a catalogue before i put a order together.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS