Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Colostrum  (Read 8793 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Colostrum
« on: February 24, 2014, 05:07:13 pm »
Just stripped out some colostrum from ewe who lost lamb. Not much but will freeze in case needed. As it is very thick should we add anything ie water or ewe/goat milk to thin it once defrosted?

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: Colostrum
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 06:32:28 pm »
Don't thin it.
Warm it up, ideally using a double boiler (saucepan of water) to hand warm.
Don't overheat it, as this destroys the protein antibodies.
When hand warm, it should pass through a bottle or stomach tube as required, sometimes very thick colostrum needs the plunger on a syringe for a stomach tube, or a wider hole in a teat.
The best colostrum is good thick custard!

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 06:36:59 pm »
Exactly what it is like! How much do they need as is looks like about 50ml max.  Also, no sign of afterbirth coming away yet. How long do I leave it before calling vet? Hopefully will be out when we check her later.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 09:36:48 pm »
Often hard to spot afterbirth in sheep if they eat it first! Keep an eye that she's bright and eating, you'll likely notice her off colour if Its not passed in a day or so, or a smell from her. Any worries ask your vet.
The amount of colostrum depends on size of lamb and quality of colostrum.  Sounds like you have good stuff, so 50ml of that per lamb as a first feed should give them a good kick start if they cant get from their own mums.

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 10:16:47 pm »
Try freezing any more you get in ice cube trays then transfer to box/bag. It makes it really easy to defrost just the amount you need!

MarvinH

• Joined Oct 2011
  • England
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 11:17:08 pm »
As per fsmnutter though I will add dont warm up in a microwave either.
Sheep

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 12:23:22 am »
Any reason you dont buy a pouch of it when needed?

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 12:24:12 am »
Just thinking of the animals needs rather than your perspective?

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 08:12:20 am »
I do keep packets of colostrum but as this ewe lost the lamb it seemed a waste not to take some from her. It's much better than artificial. Chances are I won't need it now but I have a poor condition Suffolk who always has weak lambs so usually give them a bit by bottle to get them going.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 09:03:41 am »

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 09:38:54 am »
For years i and many other vets thought packets or tubs of colostrum contained all antibodies for lambs and calves. The drug companies have recently released a special form of purely antibodies - locatim - without the nutrition of the colostrum, as it is not possible to preserve antibodies or vitamin e (essential for the immune system and often lacking in newborns). The colostrum powders are purely giving a boost of energy, to try to encourage lamb or calf to get sucking what they need from mum. As such, colostrum from a ewe or cow is best for lamb or calf respectively.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 10:02:57 am »
For years i and many other vets thought packets or tubs of colostrum contained all antibodies for lambs and calves. The drug companies have recently released a special form of purely antibodies - locatim - without the nutrition of the colostrum, as it is not possible to preserve antibodies or vitamin e (essential for the immune system and often lacking in newborns). The colostrum powders are purely giving a boost of energy, to try to encourage lamb or calf to get sucking what they need from mum. As such, colostrum from a ewe or cow is best for lamb or calf respectively.

or goat... (good for kids, lambs and calves).

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 12:05:29 pm »
I freeze colostrum in little yogurt pots then stand them in warm water to defrost, putting the container on a shelf above a radiator to keep it warm.  We routinely feed newborn lambs colostrum if they're born in freezing weather or to a first-timer who needs to get her act together.  We also put them in a jacket if necessary.  It takes a few minutes and we know that if we can get them through the first three days they'll thrive. Not a member of the "I lamb 'em outside at 2000 ft in January" brigade!

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 04:05:21 pm »
Good advice above; although we always keep powdered in to make up, totally agree that the real thing is better, and we freeze some where we can.  Only other thing to add is label it carefully to avoid embarrassing incidents where you think it is something else and defrost it to serve to visitors.  Speaking from experience here.

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 01:04:26 pm »

Thats interesting and very useful to know fsmnutter, it always puzzled me that a dry mix colostrum could contain the necessary antibodies, although I think a discussion came up on here last year and I was assured that it did. Is locatim only available from vets, it sounds as though a small supply should be kept for lambing time? I do always try to keep some frozen colostrum once lambing is underway, (does freezing affect the antibodies too?) so that they can have this as the first feed followed by powdered colostrum feeds.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS