Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Am I looking for a ram at the wrong time off year?  (Read 5468 times)

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
Am I looking for a ram at the wrong time off year?
« on: February 18, 2014, 07:43:29 pm »
I've been looking around for a new ram last couple off weeks with hardly Any avail I know hardly anyone buys them at this time off year but I want plenty off time too get to know the ram quarantine etc I'm not too bothered on breed aslong as it's a good ram for producing lambs that finish well on grass alone

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Am I looking for a ram at the wrong time off year?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 07:53:38 pm »
Pre-loved website ??

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 07:56:58 pm »
Been on there all people without a clue who feed there ram 25 kilos of concentrate a day haha

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 08:05:00 pm »
Thing is, anyone who has kept a ram on after tupping is planning to use him again, or to fatten him and send him away, or to sell for breeding as an aged tup at the end of the summer when he has plenty of condition on him.

Other younger boys again will be sold in the summer when they are full of condition.

You may turn something up if you advertise, but frankly tups which have worked are not in great shape at this time of year so people will be less likely to sell one.  And tup hogs will fetch a lot more as shearlings in the breeding sales - if someone is happy to sell one now, he won't be the best of the bunch ;)  (But then that may be quite good enough for you, depending on what you are wanting to achieve.)

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 08:09:03 pm »
I've got 20 --ish Exlana (maternal) rams to sell. EBV's/grass fed only etc etc
And a couple of grass fed Charollais tup lambs out of high index rams

Where are you?  I know of a few grass feeding ram producers----

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 09:06:09 pm »
I'm in north wales been offered 3 one Dorset 2 suffolks both of the owners openly admit the tups ain't in the best condition

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 09:53:04 pm »
Well I have/had rams on Preloved and they wont have seen 25g in a lifetime unless it was staring through the fence at the neighbours sheep!

Ad is as follows: Strong rams and ram lambs for sale, good conformation. Never creep or concentrate fed. Lambs quick to get off the floor and go, very easy lambing breed ideal for ewe lambs and yearlings, do well on grass. Choice of ram lambs and yearlings. Teaser rams also available.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 09:57:24 pm by Me »

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 10:44:48 pm »
Thing is, anyone who has kept a ram on after tupping is planning to use him again, or to fatten him and send him away, or to sell for breeding as an aged tup at the end of the summer when he has plenty of condition on him.

Other younger boys again will be sold in the summer when they are full of condition.

You may turn something up if you advertise, but frankly tups which have worked are not in great shape at this time of year so people will be less likely to sell one.  And tup hogs will fetch a lot more as shearlings in the breeding sales - if someone is happy to sell one now, he won't be the best of the bunch ;)  (But then that may be quite good enough for you, depending on what you are wanting to achieve.)

Agree wholeheartedly with everything said here.

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 07:33:46 am »
I have 3 rams for sale at the moment due to a change in breeding policy, they are all good condition and nothing wrong with them, they haven't seen a scrap of cake/creep/concentrates in their lives

However I keep getting inquiries from Scotland about them :thinking:

so as its a bit bar from Reading, they are still here!

considering what ram burgers may taste like  :thinking:

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 09:07:52 am »
I have two BWM rams that I am selling this year, but I didn't see any point in advertising them now as I wouldn't have thought anyone would be buying! :)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 12:12:44 pm »
I have 6 pedigree Southdown rams available.  One is a proven 2012 ram, the others are 2013, one of which is proven.  All are one of twins, grass fed, and bred as good all rounders.  I don't show as I concentrate on the whole package of good conformation, teeth and feet, easy lambing, good mothering and longevity.  Two of the rams are already booked for hire this Autumn but the others are for sale.   Whatever breed Southdowns are used on they'll confer easy lambing (so ideal for first-timers) and a good carcase.

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 12:36:12 pm »
I have a Dorset ram and I am in north Wales but I think you've already seen my ad on Preloved.  I certainly don't feed him 25kg of feed a day though! And he's in good condition.  I can send a photo if you are interested.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 12:47:59 pm by morri2 »

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 01:25:40 pm »
I've just replied to your message on preloved I believe :) thanks everyone for your input I know it's not the best time too buy but I had a bad experience with a ram an I like too be 100% trusty with it before tupping comes

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 02:58:02 pm »
We've got one which we intend to sell in the summer/early autumn sales. I wouldn't have thought to advertise him yet as I wouldn't think anyone would want to keep him until tupping later in the year. He's a  2yr old registered Ryeland, nice temperament & proven. He's winter sheared so in at the moment with the others. He just has hay to munch & is in good condition. We're based in shropshire

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2014, 09:33:40 pm »
We have a Zwartbles ram yearling for sale, have just sold a 2 year old ram and was surprised to sell at this time of year, but the people who bought him had the same view as you about getting one early on in the year and temperament was very important.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS