Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Electric fence  (Read 2421 times)

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
Electric fence
« on: March 11, 2014, 03:54:44 pm »
Has anyone every tried electric fence to keep goats in ?
We have a large piece of grazing that my OH wont let me fence and l want to put my girls on it once they are wormed.
Dont see the point in mowing when we have animals to graze it down.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: Electric fence
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 05:15:29 pm »
My Saanens got access to the garden via electric fence until their field was finished.
The first few times they got shocked, they blasted through the fence, they don't have the same instinct to recoil as sheep and do push against things (same with the sheepdog!).
However, after they'd figured out this white wire stuff hurts, they were very good at keeping away from it.
I wouldn't trust them fully, as something could still frighten them into running, and I wouldn't think it would necessarily stop them if they were determined, but neither will traditional fencing with stubborn goats!
I do believe it's been mentioned before, but the thicker tape/rope is probably better, as they respect it better if they can see it coming!
All the best
Suzanne

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 06:35:54 pm »
Thank you Suzanne  :thumbsup:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 07:15:34 pm »
We have electric strands but I have to admit we also had to add stock fencing because they seem to be quite thick skinned/determined/naughty/annoying (!)    and I have to say it was a wether kid that was mostly the problem.   
It works well for us now with the fencing beneath.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 07:42:09 pm »
We started out with the whole of our goat paddock fenced off with 3 strands of electric fence. It was ok but they soon worked out how to crawl under/ squeeze through the strands. We re fenced with stock fence with a single electric strand round the top which works well. I wouldn't use electric netting, as fsmnutter pointed out, goats don't do the whole 'recoil' thing very well and could easily get tangled up in it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS