Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: One massive sigh of relief... **UPDATE**  (Read 7663 times)

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
Re: One massive sigh of relief...
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 06:30:45 pm »
 :relief: :relief: :D ;D :sunshine: :fc:

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 11:51:36 pm »
I'm glad alls well.
It would be nice to give the dog a second chance especially if the owners weren't involved.  You could spend a lot of sleepless nights & wasted time if this all goes to court, not to mention the stress & expense.  Without proper forenics it may get thrown out, or the owner may have to deal with the the dog being euthanasied in 6 months time when it eventually goes to court. in Scotland a dog control order can be made eg keeping the dog muzzled & on a lead but I dont think thats available to English courts.  If the owners are decent folk I think I would consider your options carefully.  Boxers are not typically attacking dogs & the fact most of the injuries are at the head end tends to imply to me an over excited exuberant dog thats got completely carried away.  To insist on euthanasia may not help your standing in the neighbourhood.  How about some graphic signage & reviewing your fencing to make dog access harder.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2014, 07:32:26 am »
I am afraid that in my view once a dog has the taste for blood it is never the same. It knows exactly were to go for a game and there is no way I can keep dogs out. I shouldn't have to refence the field it's not my responsiblity to keep other peoples dogs away. We have perfect fencing with stock fencing and gates down to the floor with no gaps, the dog was seen jumping over the fences as boxers do.

I could not care what the locals think! We worked out my costs last night and it's well over two and a half thousand and personally I don't want to give it a second chance when I will have pedigree animals up there as well! Next time I might not be so lucky to still have live animals at the end of it.

Like I said before it I'd a legal requirement as a dog owner to make sure that your garden is dog proof. They have allowed the dog to get loose and this is the third time there dogs have got out causing problems elsewhere. I think they have had plenty of second chances!

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2014, 12:27:51 pm »
I'm glad the sheepies are recovering but it seems as if things will drag on for some considerable time.  :sheep: :sheep:
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2014, 05:11:57 pm »
So glad to hear your animals are recovering!  :fc:
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
Re: One massive sigh of relief... **UPDATE**
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2014, 03:10:01 pm »
Watch this space....

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2014, 04:00:33 pm »
I'm really glad to hear your animals are recovering ok but also think its really reassuring to hear that the police have taken the attack seriously. Irresponsible dog owners will never keep control of their dogs unless there is a real possibilty of facing consequences when something goes wrong. So often you hear of nothing being done.  :thumbsup:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2014, 07:26:22 pm »
We had this problem with a neighbour whose resppnse was a shrug of the shoulders, until I pointd out that the loss of one pregnant ewe, on the basis that she would produce mixed twins for eight years, some of the rams would be suitable for breeding and the ewe lambs would themselves be producing twin lambs after two years, and their lambs producing lambs after another two years, and so on the loss of that ewe would work out at about £16.5K. using just the Society upset auction prices and that's what I woulod be asking for as compensation if I found one of his dogs in my field again, plus a premium as I run a pedigree closed flock and so each animal is irreplaceable.  Didn't happen though.  His dogs were always on a lead and walked down another lane after that.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS