Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: putting sheep in a field  (Read 6748 times)

luke9012

• Joined Feb 2014
putting sheep in a field
« on: February 19, 2014, 07:05:58 pm »
hi i have one large 2.25 acre field and it is in the pipe line of bieng sold in the next 2 years its a huge project with over 200 houses and our field is only part of the land. i need it keep it cut back and neat to stop enviromentalists and that kind of people holding it up saying it has rare species of frogs and that sort of thing witch wont allow us to sell the field. i am looking at putting sheep or goats lambs on it i have no idea just need to keep it cut back and neat

what would you advise?,, how many sheep/lamb/goat ? what bread ?i will be fencing the field to keep them in. do i need any licences or any paper work to keep them ? how much do sheep cost to buy ? and how much work it it to keep them ? i just want to let them get on and eat i dont want to to be up most nights lambing? or would it rent out to a sheep farmer ?
many thanks luke,

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
Re: putting sheep in a field
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 07:12:40 pm »
Rent it to someone who will use it, and it will make you money and not cost you money. It would cost a bit to set up sheep keeping from scratch. Horses would make you the most. That's my opinion.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Yeoman

• Joined Oct 2010
  • South Northamptonshire
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 07:17:05 pm »
With respect, I think you need to examine you motives for keeping animals.  Sheep, like any animal, require a long term commitment - they are not a planning tool.

If you have examined your motives and satisfied yourself then may I suggest you discuss your findings with someone who has experience of looking after livestock - just to make sure you're considering all aspects of the subject...

luke9012

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 07:31:27 pm »
hi my family is quiet farming orientated my uncle has a 1000 acre dairy farm and my brother who i dont see much any more has about 25 sheep witch he keeps in the fields to keep it down he also has a couple of race horses on the farm aswel so its not like im a complete townie. i just want to have a bit of back ground knowledge and know what my choices would be before i made a decision

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 08:14:56 pm »
I too would suggest renting it out to someone who has the interest in, experience of and commitment to the livestock.  Buying and keeping stock yourself also involves purchasing equipment, getting a holding number, flock or herd number, livestock transport and handling facilities ..... and so on.

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 08:19:31 pm »
Will putting stock on it affect its chances of being built on in anyway? Sometimes if they are seen as being actively used in agriculture its harder to get the planning on them than if they are just unkempt.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 09:01:02 pm »
Rent it out ot horse owners.  Much less hassle with paperwork etc and more income too.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 07:15:00 am »
Only problem with horses is that they trash the place, churn the ground and most won't provide there own fencing either but agreed you get a lot more money back!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 07:36:06 am »
Only problem with horses is that they trash the place, churn the ground and most won't provide there own fencing either but agreed you get a lot more money back!

The builders will make more mess than even horses  ;D

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 08:25:01 am »
Only problem with horses is actually - that they come with horse owners  :innocent:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 08:38:29 am »
I would rent it out. If you get your own sheep to put on the field. Otherwise what happens to the sheep when the land purchase for houses finally goes through?
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 08:30:44 pm »
2 ponies on 2.25 acres won't make much more mess than a small flock of sheep over winter if it is reasonably well drained, except possibly around the gateway.  Tell them they are responsible for fencing, water etc, that the animals are in there at their own risk and leave them to get on with it. If it gets chewed up, they won't have grazing left which they know isn't a good idea but there certainly won't be any rare snails etc around to worry about.

Mostly, horse owners are fine until you put two or more together...  :rant:

sarahdean_66

• Joined May 2012
  • Yelling Cambridgeshire
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 08:50:35 am »
can i ask where you are? thanks

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 08:55:22 am »
Rent it out for sheep.  Not goats - they don't much graze, more browse.   
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS