Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What to do with my Shetland ewe?  (Read 5330 times)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
What to do with my Shetland ewe?
« on: February 19, 2014, 07:20:19 am »
As some of you may be aware, my poor sheep suffered a dog attack last week and left my sheep in a bad way including a Shetland ewe who is in lamb due from the 12th April. Since the attack she's dropped a lot of weight and she was about a 2-2.5 CS before it happened. She has just started to pick at food.

I worry that her lack of condition will cause her problems before lambing.

What extra care does she need? Shes on as much food as she wants.
Anything extra I need in my lambing kit? I have calcium, TL drench...
Should I expect to take a lamb off her and let her rear just the one?
Is she likely to have less milk?

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
Re: What to do with my Shetland ewe?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 07:32:00 am »
I may be completely wrong...

But if she is thin and not eating 100% of the amount she used to, then yes she may have less milk, and as a result she may only rear one lamb, but this may change if she starts to pick up

Is she on a lifeline bucket??

I suppose you could add milk powder and a bottle to your kit incase you have the rear the other lamb!
What tup has she gone to?

Glad things are looking up with all the sheep  :fc:  :)  :thumbsup: hope you are alright!

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 08:07:39 am »
I have bottles and a multiple lamb feeder, I have back up colostrum but will have some fresh by the time she lambs and I will freeze it.

My ewes have a lifeline bucket but as she's in a small pen with three others as the vet said to keep them penned up there isn't much room for a bucket but I will have a sort out this weekend and get her one!

She's in lamb to a Shetland so hoping for small lambs!

I'm fine just worrying about everything!!

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 09:10:07 am »
Sounds like you have everything you need.  She probably will just need lots of TLC & treats.  Just keep a close eye on her so that you catch any problems promptly.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 09:21:52 am »
If her condition stays as it is and she doesn't put on a bit more weight then she may produce less milk. There is still 2months to the birth and I would expect her to be in full health and gained weight by then  :fc: so hopefully will have plenty of milk. Animals often don't produce milk until 24 hours before birth so lots of time yet. Saying that, it's better to be prepared for any problems well in advance than be caught out.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 10:46:00 am »
Hazel catkins - sweeties for Shetlands :) .  I hope you are feeling better too :hug:

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 01:31:15 pm »
Gave her a lifeline bucket and that went down well!! Also picked some catkins and will see what she thinks later!

She's very sore still and the vet may be removing the ear so she may still be off her food until that feels better!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 02:19:56 pm »
Give her some ivy ((without any berries), one of the things that may tempt her to eat a bit more hay. You really need to make sure she keeps her rumen working - so shreds (if she likes them), fine hay, maybe if you have some readigrass stuff like that. Some molasses in her water? One of my old girls was very fond of toast...

Other than that you are doing all you can, she may still loose her lambs but hopefully she herself will pull through.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 06:03:21 pm »
Hazel catkins - sweeties for Shetlands :) .  I hope you are feeling better too :hug:

She nearly ate my hand off for them!  :thumbsup:

She is picking at straw and I have two types of hay, she picks at soaked sugar beet mixed with moslasses and she even had a few mouthfuls of ewe nuts this evening! I need to remind myself that Shetland's are completely different to my ewes and they are a lot smaller so maybe they just don't eat as much as my gut buckets!

I am really starting to fall in love with my little Shetland's! Even though she must be in so much pain she is such a sweetheart to deal with, they must be so fed up with me washing their faces and jabbing them daily and they are just so good and she even gave me a little head butt earlier as if to say "just coz' I'm small and feeling crap, I'll still whip your backside if you step out of line"  :roflanim:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 06:10:21 pm »
I think she's going to be OK  :)

Mine like ivy, oatcakes, digestives, some like sliced apple but not all of them.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 06:13:01 pm »
Sounds like she's doing fine ( and so are you  :thumbsup::sunshine:

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 10:35:55 pm »
Why don't you turn out to graze for a while?  Fresh air exercise and Doctor green  is bound to cheer her up, & help stimulate rumen function.

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 06:10:51 am »
try Extra High Energy Crystalyx for Ewes & Finishing Lambs - the red box its good stuff

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 06:27:55 am »
I would love to turn them out but all of the fields are flooded and there isn't much grass around as they were grazed right down by my boss. They were at another farm where the attack happened ad it's a different soil up there and never get wet but until I know  that the dog will be sorted I won't risk any stock being there!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS