Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: tags and tag gun for pigs going to slaughter  (Read 4356 times)

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
tags and tag gun for pigs going to slaughter
« on: February 18, 2014, 10:13:58 pm »
A young friend bought about ten or tweleve weaners just as the winter started, they are kept outside and are ruining the land so I am trying to convince her to send at least some of them off to slaughter.  She hasnt got a tagging gun or tags Suggsestions as to cheapest quickest source please.  She may not be keeping pigs again after this

PS apparently some are registered Berkshire females coming up for six months old.  Do you think there may be a market for these.  She cant remember the lines at present though presumably has some paperwork somewhere. 
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: tags and tag gun for pigs going to slaughter
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 10:09:08 am »
Oh dear sounds like your young friend needs some serious guidance.

Weaners for the butcher need a metal tag or slapmark for slaughter, for this she will need a herdmark. The easiest way would be to find somebody local who already had the taggers which she could borrow and disinfect before and after using. Tags have to be ordered try Fearings think you can order individual ones. For a few pigs a slapmarker is probably too big an expense.

The pedigree Berkshires, hmm, I presume our young friend is not in the BPA therefore you will need to check if the pigs are still listed as registered as a recent breed survey was done and any not accounted for by BPA members are generally 'killed' off the register. If they are still on the system they can be sold as pedigree but they will have to inform the BPA of the change of ownership. The paperwork they have for them is very important, without it they're just black gilt pigs! If they have been killed off they will need to contact a Berkshire pig BPA rep to try to help get them reinstated but if they are untagged, untattoed or notched it is unlikely to be successful.

Hope you can convince this person to shift these pigs before they start interbreeding with each other as this will now be the main worry given their age so swift action is really needed.
HTH
Good luck. Its very good of you to offer assistance.
Mandy :pig:

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 10:20:14 am »
Don't worry - I have talked her out of a pig breeding and sausage making enterprise using two white "pigs" she got from pre-loved as the stud boars.  She is happy to buy a tag gun, as her next plan is a herd of pedigree herefords, though I am currently trying to convince her sheep and chickens are the way forward.  Are Fearings as cheap as anyone.  if so I will recommend a multi purpose gun from them plus enough metal tage sot see a lot of these off.

She is registered and I "think" has paperwork in place as she is intent on doing it seriously, though as I say young and full of enthusiasm not like those of us who have had life and experience knock it out of us, and I don't want to be too downbeat with her - its lovely to remember how full of life and hope one can be.

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 10:35:50 am »
Well that's a good start. Do you mean Hereford cows? or pigs, these seem to be only available in America and are not a breed recognised by the BPA. Though some budding entrepreneur hoping to make a fast buck will no doubt import some, bastardize them with one of our native breeds and flog 'em as pedigree!! ::) Try steering her to one of our more native breeds Saddlebacks would be a good choice google Clash Herd Caron Stewart.
Fearings are as good as anybody but you can google other suppliers once you get the drift of what you're looking for, Supplies for Small holders who comes on here can probably help.
HTh
mandy :pig:

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 11:10:11 am »
No Hereford cows.  She has a cow and calf and is talking about having her flushed and implanting embryos in a herd of bought in heifers.  As I say enthusiastic, but I think she'll do okay once she gets a bit more experience

But unless she gets shot of some of the pigs there'll be no grass for anything.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 12:19:45 pm »
I doubt a pig tag gun will do for enormous cattle tags.  Every manufacturer seems to produce their own specific design, alas! 

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 12:39:21 pm »
Yes just had a look.  she will need one gun for the pigs and metal tags and another for cattle, but if she does the lushing thing she wont need to buy that yet :innocent:

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 11:17:29 pm »
Also tell her she'll have to register online with BPEX before the pigs go for slaughter, because movements are done electronically now http://www.eaml2.org.uk/ami/home.eb
Does she have an abattoir in mind? Worth checking with them a couple of weeks before the intended move, because some can have waiting lists. Ours is currently booking a fortnight ahead.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 08:02:42 am »
if you buy tags off earing they usually give you the pliers free.nice strong metal ones too.i used rubber z tags for pigs and they were fine through the slaughter. im not sure of english rules but is slapmarking an option?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 09:25:58 am »
Yes you can slapmark on each shoulder but the marker and pins set are quite expensive.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 09:40:24 am »
my metal fearing tagger does cattle and pigs, . dont go for plastic bendy ones though. you need the metal pin to get through big ears.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS