Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: which cleaning products do you use?  (Read 4614 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
which cleaning products do you use?
« on: September 14, 2009, 10:19:52 pm »
for your poultry housing, of course!
I use only the occasional spray of supermarket mould remover , should I find any spores. I read somewhere recently that all conventional cleaners leave some toxic residue, esp. mould removers  - do I now have to be worried about the eggs? I do wipe it clean after and make sure the stuff is completely dry before the birds go back in.... :&>

sandy

Re: which cleaning products do you use?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 11:09:18 pm »
Never gave it mush thought, I just have powder at the moment. I am never sure of what stuff to use where poultry are concerned!!! Be interesting to see what others say!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 12:42:52 am »
Fullers Earth is safe to get rid of beasties etc (Diatomaceous Earth), I'm waiting for the Alloa Pet shop in the trade centre to get some disinfectant in for any other nasties - stalosan I think??  I don't use anything else but I'm not getting eggs just now anyway
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 07:13:07 am »
When I wash out I use Poultry Shield, and then dust around with Diatom.
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 07:57:12 pm »
FIRE.............. i use a large blow torch and gas bottle.... flash it over everything a singe the wood slightly, kills everything..... HAVE THE HOSE PIPE RUNNING AND TO HAND JUST INCASE, I do it and have never had a fire i even leave the bedding in so it burns, kill nasties in that as well.. you could use a small blowtorch from b and q

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 09:02:37 pm »
Wow Harry sounds like fun, but knowing me I would trip over bang my head and set myself on fire.  I use the slightly less dangerous regime of jet washing,Poultry Shield and Diatom!

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 07:53:06 pm »
yeah great fun..... I JUST LIKE SETTING FIRE TO THINGS, ime not mad you know....... i like your chopper man is that how they tried to split the atom years ago
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 07:55:28 pm by harry »

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 08:51:06 pm »
If you want to get suffer natural a sollution of vinegar,lemon and water would work but am not sure if it is strong enought to get rid of beasties.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 09:24:06 pm »
Harry, that'll be me on Monday, but with a pig running across the chopping board!

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 08:05:09 pm »
dont mess about with these mixtures BURN THE BUGGERS.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 08:07:34 pm »
Are you concocting napalm in your shed?! :o :o

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 08:36:20 pm »
That would do it....... red mites, rats, everything...... to the origanal question we think you need napon. i dont think you can get it at the farm supliers...... try USA.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 10:10:16 pm »
Just read this thread out to my OH and now he wants to buy a blow torch - Harry its all your fault if I have 40 roast chickens to eat on Sunday! :o :o

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 09:07:36 pm »
i have a walk in chicken shed... and used a big blowtorch on a pipe and gas bottle, i used it and was overcome with smoke i  couldnt see. my advice is make sure you dont do it alone and know where the door is, and have the hosepippe running..... with a little shed its easy just stick the torch in at arms lenght and stay outside, a quick flash over the wood kills everything.......... i now reach in as the torch has a long handle, and burn everything inc floor bedding and nest stuff.... its no good singing the wood and leaving live stuff in the bedding, you could get the bedding etc just outside the door first, then wet everything down a bit........... i think on balance this is better than napon.... its also good for singeing down off a plucked duck or goose.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS