Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Red stop solution for treating red mite  (Read 4194 times)

mwncigirl

• Joined Sep 2011
Red stop solution for treating red mite
« on: April 01, 2014, 10:58:39 pm »
Hi, I've just been looking on eBay and found a poultry seller selling this Red Mite Stop solution that you put in the chooks water. Has anyone tried it? Supposed to be organic.
After ingestion, Red Stop Solution enters the blood stream and renders the blood indigestible and unattractive to the mites which stop feeding and die of starvation.
Sounds interesting.
Come find us on Facebook, Williams Poultry  :-)

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Red stop solution for treating red mite
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 06:27:59 am »
I haven't used it myself Mwncigirl, but have heard mixed reviews. Some say it does work and others say it doesn't. Personally I would be too worried about side effects to try it on ours- it enters the blood stream after all.

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 08:43:04 am »
I tried this last year, total waste of time.  The outbreak of mites last year was quite bad all for everyone and l tried all sorts.   Eventually creosote was the thing that zapped them and not seen any sign of the little beggers yet. Have heard it works for some people though.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 01:56:28 pm »
Yep! Creosote here too and a 25kg bag of diatomaceous earth ( should last a while)
Anne

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 03:55:39 pm »
We just use plenty of DE and it seems to keep them at bay. I've heard of others suspending their roosting bars on thin wire so the mites can't get on to the roosts easily. Sounds like a good idea too and I may re-jig our main house this summer to use that idea.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS