Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goose/Duck/Mallard/Hen/Bantam PHOTOS  (Read 4063 times)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
Goose/Duck/Mallard/Hen/Bantam PHOTOS
« on: March 29, 2014, 10:58:11 am »
Here we go - pics of eggs to see the difference in sizes and colours.

The top plate eggs are bantam and hen.

Left hand plate is mallard (orange yolk) and Muscovy duck.

Right hand plate is goose.

Big omlette at lunch time. We have call duck but didn't have one for the pics, they are the same size as bantam eggs.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Goose/Duck/Mallard/Hen/Bantam PHOTOS
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 01:27:53 pm »
Can't say I like the look of that Muscovy 'blood' egg Goosepimple. Are you sure that's normal colouration?

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 01:53:26 pm »
yup, that's because they eat the 5 star corn chris  ::)  not the normal diet for a mallard I would imagine.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 01:55:32 pm »
Can't say I like the look of that Muscovy 'blood' egg Goosepimple. Are you sure that's normal colouration?

Now you've got me worried! Our duck eggs are always very very orange like in the photo!....phew you just replied goose pimple, our girls get layers, barley, corn, treats & free range.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 01:58:25 pm »
yup, 5 star  :D

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 03:03:08 pm »
Very interesting, thank you.  Our call ducks' eggs are also about the same size as a bantams, but when I crack them open, the yolk is the same size as a hen's egg, with very little white.  I have just been looking on this as a sort of bonus, but it it normal?

Cactus Jack

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Tortosa catalunya
    • stevel100
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 03:25:45 pm »
My Muscovy eggs are the same, a very deep orange. Mine live on whatever grubs, plants and pig food they can get their beaks around. Totally free range, as they often fly out of their 500 sq metre enclosure and then fly back in again. Not lost any yet, touch wood ...........

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 03:35:20 pm »
Yes mowhaugh that is the same as our call duck eggs, they're hiding them at the moment so no pic.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 07:05:02 pm »
Great to see the differences in different species eggs.
Our  big girl Xwyandotte lays the smallest egg, not much bigger than a bantam egg but it is almost all yolk  :yum:

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2014, 07:54:20 pm »
I have a goose who's egg bits clearly don't work quite right as she always lays eggs that are a yolk with a tiny bit of what and then the shell. They are a bit ugly and lumpy but surprisingly popular. It's all about the yolk!!!

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2014, 07:57:05 pm »
 ;D  liked that eloquent description Beeducked!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 02:56:40 pm »
I don't know if you can open this as it is but these 4 different eggs we found on the same day from our ducks. The ducks' definitely have a darker yolk than the hens', maybe they eat more grass?

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=22960.0;attach=8260

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS