Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hatching eggs - advice needed for wonky chick please  (Read 10409 times)

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: Hatching eggs
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2014, 09:49:33 pm »
Great news  :thumbsup:  certainly better entertainment than TV  :chook:  :chook:

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2014, 04:55:56 am »
Which seller did y get the legbars from? I've never found any on ebay that look right. Most have too much gold- boys too much colour and girls gold not pale cream neck hackels and some didn't even have yellow legs! so don't have two copies of the cream gene so not cream legbars

I had  intended to breed from my legbars this year I have two styles both with yellow legs, I have just one girl left whom I believe to be best of quality, I have another whom seems close, then I have a few others that seem to either have not enough colouring or the wrong colours, please post a picture of what you would like a bird to look like, we have had a few problems this winter and our plans aren't as they were, I will try and breed a few this year though.

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2014, 08:19:34 am »
Have a look at Emily's website-link on page 1. Basically hen should have light cream neck hackles salmon not brown chest and a nice tuft on head. Comb will flop due to tuft. If the chest is brown or neck hackles gold or brown or grey it means she doesn't have two copies of the cream gene so can only pass on one gene which may not be the cream one. Even if liiks right may still only have one copy so of spring may not be right-as I understand it anyway genetics not my strongest thing.

Boys should have virtually no chestnut on him. Some white wing feathers and tail feathers ok. If he has a lot of colourhe again only has one copy of the cream gene.

Emily's website has good pics of good and bad examples. Now bearing this in mind have a look on ebay for CLB.  You will not find many good birds! Even judges are placing wrong birds! There are not many good birds around. I had a nice trio but had to sell as fox was picking off my birds and they were too good to be eaten. Hopefully will have some eggs off them in a few weeks! :)
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

waddy

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2014, 08:56:42 am »
The final score was six Wyandottes, three legbars (two of them male) and only two Norfolks. Three eggs candled clear after a week, one stopped developing after a week and three didn't make it to pipping. The last Wyandotte was stuck and had to be helped out. He had pipped too low down (where we couldn't see) and the membrane had dried. We gently moistened it and partially freed it leaving the chick to finish the job. The Wyandotte eggs were the largest ones and hadn't dried as much as I would have liked although the others all pipped and hatched fine. The chick did seem a bit squished although it fluffed up nicely and was getting around so was eventually put with the others. This morning they were all sat on it which didn't help. It looks to have been walking around on its heels which are sore. It doesn't seem able to stretch it's legs. We have put sudocrem on the sore bits and put it back in the incubator. If the chick has been been squished in the egg too long (it came out morning of day 24) is it likely that it will never straighten? Should we turn the incubator temperature down a bit for it? Is there anything else we could do? I have seen the video of splayed leg splinting but his legs aren't splayed they are forward facing the normal way. He (or she) can't seem to stretch and get up on his feet, he is shuffling along on his heels.

The other problem we have had is pecking at eyes. I understand this will hopefully abate as they learn what they should be pecking at, I have put shiny washers in and a lettuce leaf to try and attract them instead (not interested). I have also read about using a red light. I will order one today. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Helen

waddy

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2014, 11:57:32 am »
We have now separated off a bit of the brood box to give the poorly chick his own area with part of the brooder so he can still be with the others but won't get sat on or pecked at.
 :fc: :fc: :fc:
Helen

waddy

• Joined May 2012
Re: Hatching eggs - Advice needed please
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2014, 05:08:31 pm »
We are also massaging and gently stretching his legs frequently using sudocrem. He looks a bit brighter than this morning when he was squashed by the others.

Helen
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 05:11:10 pm by waddy »

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: Hatching eggs - advice needed for wonky chick please
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2014, 06:31:33 pm »
Waddy, we have only hatched one lot of eggs so no expert. We had one that started off ok first day though a bit wobbly and over the next two days went off it's legs as you describe and seemed to get weaker as the day went on. I had to help her stand to eat and drink through the day as she couldn't reach with her leg weakness. I bought some poultry tonic and put it in the water just in case it was a deficiency but half expected to cull the chick within a day or two. Glad I didn't as she got the use of her legs again  and has grown to be lovely strong Wyandotte cross.

waddy

• Joined May 2012
Re: Hatching eggs - advice needed for wonky chick please
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2014, 07:09:01 pm »
Thanks for that Mammyshaz! I will keep up with the physio and keep my fingers crossed!

:fc: :fc: :fc:
H

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS