Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Management of the Spring Calving Cow, 25 Feb, Cupar. Free  (Read 2223 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Management of the Spring Calving Cow, 25 Feb, Cupar. Free
« on: February 17, 2014, 11:58:44 am »
SRUC supported by the Scottish Government is running a Farmer Day on managing the spring calving cow. It's free; it's on Tuesday 25th February in Conference Room 1, Elmwood College, Cupar KY15 4JB from 2pm to 4.30pm

Call 01334 654055 or email sandra.sey@sac.co.uk to book a place
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 12:03:13 pm by Rosemary »

CarolineR

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: Management of the Spring Calving Cow, 25 Feb, Cupar. Free
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 05:49:21 pm »
Hi everyone,

What I'll try to do is pop up a little bit of detail whenever there is a Farmer day, so that anyone who is interested can better judge if it is for them, or whether they would prefer to wait for an actual Smallholder day instead.

The spring calving cow day will contain a nutrition lecture which I would judge suitable mainly for advanced smallholders or people aspiring to gain an advanced understanding of proper nutrition and how it can impact on cow health and the financial cost of producing beef calves. This may be a little detail-heavy for some hobby farmers/smallholders.

The spring calving cow day will also contain a calf health lecture which I would judge as suitable for intermediate level smallholders as calf care is pretty essential and straightforward. This should be of interest to hobby farmers/smallholders to minimise the chances of losing a calf.

And I guess not too many beginner smallholders will have cows, so that should be ok!

Basically, I'd like folks to know what bits might be ideal for them and what bits might be a bit over their head just so everyone knows what they are getting before they come along, and can make decisions accordingly!

In other news, we'll hopefully be doing more smallholder meetings soon too, entirely aimed at those in a beginner-to-intermediate type level of animal care.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 06:04:19 pm by podanmoo »

CarolineR

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 06:08:09 pm »
PS feel free to get in touch if there is something that you feel is needed in your area too - I'm always glad to have suggestions, and we'll be trying to do evening talks as well as day courses this year

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 06:27:48 pm »
I would have loved to go! But missed the original post and now have other commitments for tomorrow  :(
Could you add me to the mailing list please podanmoo? My email address is kkjmckay@aol.com
Thanks, Karen  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS