Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice please  (Read 2406 times)

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
Advice please
« on: February 17, 2014, 11:02:05 am »
Not sure if this is the right forum to post this,We have recently moved to our own small,smallholding, 1.6 acres, the field has been sorely neglected, its very wet (as I`m sure every ones is at the moment) it has a lot of what I now believe to be is Mares Tail and reeds growing, we are wanting to bring our pigs and sheep on there, (not together). My question is, will the Mares Tail and reeds be harmful to them if they graze or can we let the livestock demolish it for us.
Your advice would be gratefully received.
Mark

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Advice please
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 12:11:48 pm »
We've found that Mare's Tail doesn't survive chooks - we live beside a railway back that's full of it but it doesn't encroach n the poultry pens. I don't see it in the paddocks either, so I assume the animals graze it.

The sheep nibble the rushes; the cattle and best, the ponies, eat rushes right down to the ground.Not eliminated, but reduced.

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 12:22:16 pm »
I thought most of Horley was underwater at the moment?

I don't know how many sheep you can graze on 1.5 acres but putting pigs in then resowing with grass seed might be a way to go
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 01:21:17 pm »
I appreciate thet it's a wet year but if it's wet ground, you'll get rushes. We've drained but i's not enough to get rid. We have sprayed but it made an awful mess. We're hoping to control by cutting / grazing but I doubt we'll ever eliminate them.

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 08:58:57 pm »
Thanks for your replies, going to get someone in to take a look, the last thing I want to do is make the animals sick, thanks again. :wave:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 10:35:37 pm »
I'm beside a railway too and my chooks have eliminated the mares tail completely!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 10:55:38 pm »
To me...
Having the chooks in and getting rid of it gives the clue that cutting it every few days throughout a couple of years will see it unable to have enough greenery  photosynthesise ,  reproduce or have enough vital strength to grow .

I think I may just try hitting our horsetail  with the strimmer every three or four days for two years in scarifying mode and see if it works .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS