Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Some sunny Sunday photos  (Read 3775 times)

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
Some sunny Sunday photos
« on: February 16, 2014, 11:42:49 am »
Hope you don't mind me sharing these, it is such a welcome relief to have a nice day, and makes me feel very thankful.

Our tup hoggs - these are the boys to sell in 2015 (maybe this year for the Kerry Hills, we'll see):

This little group of ladies are due to lamb early, from 2nd March - please excuse the colour of them, they are on ad lib liquid feed, which looks like treacle, and they love it:

Finally some action on the new sheep shed:

Since we scanned the sheep, they are in different groups, all those expecting twins are on one hill, those only having one lamb are on the other, and anything with triplets or a low body condition score is in the shed.  These ladies (who are having singles) are not impressed at being on the 'wrong' hill, and Cash has to take them down to their feed blocks every day.  They know the routine well:

Dad's Luing cows on our hill:

And a bull:

On the other hill, ladies expecting twins, and Rosie, Corrie, Ailadh and Ghillie:

I think Ghillie was quite pleased to see me:

« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 11:44:51 am by mowhaugh »

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Re: Some sunny Sunday photos
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 11:48:54 am »
Lovely - really enjoyed those  Thanks  :thumbsup:
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 01:33:59 pm »
Lovely to see the animals all enjoying the sun. Just came In myself after spending the morning littering on getting ready for spring.
Thanks for sharing  :thumbsup:

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 01:39:48 pm »
Lovely pictures. It is so nice to have blue sky and sunshine. I have been out clearing fallen branches in our woodland garden, next to the hen run, the hens have all been crashed out sunbathing!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 01:44:28 pm »
what a beautiful place you have.
what breed are your sheep? very pretty girls.
sun is out here at long last - feels like spring  :excited: :excited:

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 02:04:50 pm »
The vast majority of our sheep are hill type North Country Cheviots, with a small flock of Kerry Hills.  We also have just under 40 mule x dorpers, they are the ones in the shed with the Kerry Hill ewes (panda sheep!).  We bought them when we were starting out and trying to expand because they were local and a great price, but they are a wee bit soft for here.  That is why we lamb them a bit earlier, so if necessary they can stay in the shed a few days longer - their lambs are very bare skinned.  Fabulous mums and generally easy to do though.  They are actually white faced, they are just covered in liquid feed!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 02:21:52 pm »
love the panda-faced sheep! :sheep:

all looks lovely :)
Little Blue

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 03:22:54 pm »
Lovely pictures, it's so nice to see the animals enjoying the sunshine.
Anne

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 04:35:03 pm »
No pics here but yours are great, my animals were enjoying the sun as well today as was I got lots done .
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 04:48:33 pm »
Sheep shed envy, I've no sheep but my life would be way better if I had one of those - maybe you could send me your old one if you don't need it any more, I'll send a second class stamp if so.. ;)

Sorry, bit of sunlight and everything gets very dizzy here.  I'm just in from apple grafting, raced about doing hay bags and feeds, trawled up a few eggs and all of a sudden I am wanting to hang on "just one more year".. ::)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 06:49:35 pm »
What a beautiful place :sunshine: .  So much space (sigh).  Thanks for sharing.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 08:17:52 pm »
Fab photos,

It was  :sunshine: here today and I too achieved loads. And enjoyed doing it as well  :thumbsup:
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Hamish Crofter

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Isle of Skye
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 09:12:08 pm »
Great photos and the beasts look in fine shape

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2014, 09:49:39 pm »
Great thanks for taking the time to post .I sold 150 sheep in november and the rest will be gone in 3 weeks .It makes it better when i see nice stock .Thanks again

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 08:14:42 am »
loved those photos! what a lovely day its was yesterday. i spent the day in the garden taking our eglu apart and packing stuff up ready for our house move.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS