Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Worming  (Read 2127 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Worming
« on: February 14, 2014, 11:34:46 am »
Hi
Just been reading something I downloaded from a site previously, where it says you should fast animals before worming them.
Does anyone here do this? I haven't before because it doesn't say that on the container, but the site suggestes quicker and better results.
I use a sheep wormer - ricobendazole (albendazole oxide)

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: Worming
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 11:50:41 am »
Technically, worming ruminants that have fasted before treatment means their rumens are emptier, which means the wormer is floating in a lot less stuff, so will be absorbed quicker.
Generally, if you are making sure you have the correct dose of wormer (weighing or estimating the heaviest animals so as not to underdose) then it should not reduce the efficacy, but like you say, it may work quicker on an empty stomach.
It can be tough to fast animals, as if they are out, they will be grazing, and if in, they can get upset, or even upset stomachs from not having hay to munch on, so it is a bit of a balance.
I tend not to starve mine beforehand, but as a busy vet, this is often because I am never exactly sure when I will be treating, it is often, "right, I'm not at work, the weather's good, it's gonna be now!"
Hope that helps

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: Worming
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 01:10:03 pm »
Thanks
I didn't top their hay up just as much earlier, so I'll worm them now and top up.
Not doing the 2 in-kid girls, they'll wait till kidding, they aren't getting out much just now anyway  :(

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS