Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pygmy Goats  (Read 3238 times)

AJ

• Joined Aug 2013
Pygmy Goats
« on: February 14, 2014, 11:17:23 am »
Hi All,

Ive recently moved and now have a little over an acre of land with our new house - this is easily divided up into 3 separate enclosures. I used to keep goats when I was younger and have always wanted to keep them again and I am now in a position to do so :excited:

Having already decided that I would like Pygmy goats the decision now is how many to get, what age/sex and when. Can anyone offer any advice on this and the best place to find good stock?

Thanks in advance!

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: Pygmy Goats
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 12:21:12 pm »
OK -

How many - you would need to have 2 or more as they need company.

Age - there is always a premium on kids just like puppies are easier to find homes for than dogs - most people would like kids so they can grow up and be used to their new family but for sure there are goats out there that are looking for homes.

Sex - if you are not wishing to breed then wethers would probably suit you best. They tend to be more outgoing, not as expensive as girls and you won't have any of the bleating associated with girls being in season (although not all girls are noisy).

Good stock - I'm sure there is good health stock out there that is not registered but I went down the registered route, I know the full history of all my goats and as I am breeding them can make an educated decision re the appropriate male to use.

Registered breeders list http://www.pygmygoatclub.org/breederslist.htm

or ask on https://www.facebook.com/groups/goat.sales.uk/

I'm sure you'll get lots of info there - if you need anything specific answered your welcome to email me or pm.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 04:44:49 pm »
Where are you based?
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 05:43:48 pm »
I went for 1 young female who came with 2 older females which was the wrong thing to do.  The kid had no-one who wanted to play although she was close to one of the older ladies (her aunty).  The two close ones alienated the 3rd female and still do.  That was a few years ago, the kid is now older and had her own female kid last year who has no-one who wants to play!  However, mum is now pregnant again  :fc: and hopefully other little one(s) are on the way in May.

All that adding up to this - If I could do it again, I'd get 2 young females which you could possibly mate from later this year and so they will have other little friends when they are born.  I wouldn't purposely get a whether, you may end up with some anyway.

Pygmies are brilliant fun.  Expect to pay about £250 for a young female and £100-£150 for a whether though.  It's a lot but you can make up if you sell on the offspring. 
Geese are good too and economical to keep by the way. 
Tell us all how you go AJ  :excited:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 06:23:16 pm »
It's a lot but you can make up if you sell on the offspring. 

But not a lot compared to the cost of a puppy  :innocent:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

AJ

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 06:31:33 pm »
Well, I've done it! Deposit paid on 2 lovely nanny kids. They will be joining us when they are weaned in early April. Can't wait!

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 07:49:33 pm »
brilliant AJ, you'll love them, well done.  :excited:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 10:26:53 pm »
Lovely.  :excited:  You are going to be wasting so much time in April just goat watching.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS