Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sudden Death  (Read 3113 times)

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
Sudden Death
« on: February 13, 2014, 07:54:07 am »
My Tenant bought 3 birds just before Christmas and I bought her a new coop as a Christmas present.  They were fine yesterday EXCEPT I did notice there were some yellow foamy droppings around (rather like beaten/foamed egg yolk.  This morning Rose (her Magpie?) is almost dead, unconscious and barely breathing.  She couldn't bear to pull her neck so has put her indoors.  I had gone to work and had this recounted with a shocked phone call.

From her description (she is a nurse) I expect Rose to be dead tonight but she was eating and fine last night.

My other tenant had 2 of my chickens in about October and, again, they were found dead overnight. (a bit confusing but I have a granny annexe and small bungalow on my smallholding I rent out, so two sets of tenants, 2 different coops, two different parts of the property)

That's 3 rapid unexplained deaths in birds but my flock are all fine.

What could knock a healthy bird over overnight without prior symptoms?

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
Re: Sudden Death
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 09:10:48 am »
poison?

Anything about that they might be getting at?

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 11:21:21 am »
As Clansman says -only poison could do this. Yellow foamy poos are normal in themselves resulting from excitement. I have noticed they become more frequent with a worm burden but that wouldn't account for sudden death.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 12:00:23 pm »
I remember your other post and it was equally puzzling then but I think poison was the only solution then, wasn't it? Were they free ranging yesterday?

princessnym

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 01:33:01 pm »
I have just posted about Rose too Kitchen Cottage. Absolutely gutted. Really want to know what took her so quickly

princessnym

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 01:36:17 pm »
I remember your other post and it was equally puzzling then but I think poison was the only solution then, wasn't it? Were they free ranging yesterday?
Yes they were free ranging yesterday HesterF (I am the tenant in question!) I am so sad for Rose. She was the feisty one (not the magpie though..that's Myrtle)...and my other 2 were absolutely fine this morning. Can't understand it  :(

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 01:49:43 pm »
It's got to be poison.  I've got no rat poison out at the moment.  The Hens all hang around the yard and the front and side garden..... We'll have to have a look....

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 02:14:24 pm »
So sorry to hear about Rosie  :bouquet:
Even worse when you don't know why/what exactly has happend, which must make you worried about the remaining chooks. Hope you can get to the bottom of it sooner rather than later - poisoning is horrible, if that's what it is...
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 08:35:19 pm »
I am convinced it is poison.  Could it be food poisoning?  I sometimes put rotten food in the ditch to rot down.  I haven't for weeks though....

Rose's departure has been duly marked by my tenant on Facebook as I knew it would, together with the outpouring of grief from her connections at Rose's passing..... Facebook really turns adults into children....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS