Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: weather between Aviemore and Loch Ness (top end)  (Read 2374 times)

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
weather between Aviemore and Loch Ness (top end)
« on: February 12, 2014, 03:37:56 pm »
Hi I have just driven up from Alva, but the snow seemed to be building up so I have stopped at Aviemore.

Does anyone live in the area in between here and the northern end of Loch ness or know the roads.  Are they fairly low lying or do the roads go higher and more likely to have snow.

I dont like driving in snow much anyway, and as you all probably know Thebus is pretty new to me so no sure how he copes in snow.  He certainly got a bit wibbly wobbly in the high winds up on the tops today
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: weather between Aviemore and Loch Ness (top end)
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 03:42:54 pm »
i cant help

victorian farmer is just outside aviemore might be worth messaging him directly

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 03:49:58 pm »
You can check the traffic cameras on www.trafficscotland.org - go to live traffic cameras, map view. They are updated every 15 minutes, and I think there are quite a few up north.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 04:12:10 pm »
Thanks Anke - thats and excellent link.  I now know the road I will be travelling is over 400m above sealevel and can expect 10-15 cm of accumulated snow. 

I will check again before travelling - even though there is 4-6 in of lying snow predicted a presume on the mor major routes the roads will be clearish?  I love the live camera thing  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 05:02:47 pm »
Im in where are you

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 06:10:54 pm »
You'll probably find things get better from Aviemore into Inverness, as you'll be losing altitude steadily as you go. That's only a general rule though - today could well be different!

However, if you're not in a hurry, Aviemore is the most wonderful place to get snowed in for a few days. There are a number of good campsites in the area too. The Forest Holidays one at Loch Morlich is lovely but expensive, and there's also Dalraddy Caravan Park, about 5 miles South of Aviemore near Loch Alvie - I'm pretty sure both are open all year.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 09:50:13 pm »
I am in Dalraddy at this instant, and Victorian Farmer popped down and we had a lovely chat about all sorts of things.  He is parting with all his stock shortly, which is making him a bit unsettled.

But he has given me some tips on tweeting and shown me his facebook page   What does everyone think about joining Facebook  Pros and Cons

Also he found me somewhere to buy autogas in Inverness, as I ran out on the way here so am having to run on petrol and at 10 to the gallon I am not very happy. :o

many thanks Victorian Farmer  - lovely to meet you  :thumbsup:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 09:53:45 pm »
Isn't TAS great for meeting people? I will have to look at that camera thingy, not because I'm travelling there but because it will be interesting.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS