Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: growing stuff  (Read 4372 times)

bucketman

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Sutherland Scotland
growing stuff
« on: February 11, 2014, 01:02:16 pm »
Hi
we own some land were we live an I would like to grow some veg out the back so 2 questions

1 The land is peaty and boggy the sort you get in the highlands I only want a small patch so what would I need to do to sort of get  where you could grow stuff

2 also what sort of veg is good for growing in the far north of Scotland

I am going to live the dream

artscott

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Methlick, Aberdeenshire
Re: growing stuff
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 01:54:40 pm »
Our place is a bit wet and soggy too, although we are further south.  As we were digging over the ground we collected all the rocks (lots of rocks) and used them to build up the edge of 20ft x 6ft veg beds.  We then use some additional soil and compost from local recycle place to build up the bed 6-8inches above the ground level.  It keeps it  drier and seems to help a lot.
I would try potatoes, carrots, leeks, beetroot, broad beans and some herbs.  Jerusalem artichokes for a little exotic flavor although they give you wind.  Peas may work, or if weather looks rubbish eat the shoots in salads.  Lettuce, radish, and perennial onions should be OK too. 
Brassicas like alkali soil so don’t do well, too cold for runner or green beans.
Have a go at lots of stuff, look on internet for smaller packs of seeds so you can experiment

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 02:09:06 pm »
yes, try raised beds then you are in control of the soil.
we are in aberdeenshire and great success with purple sprouting brocolli - it survived alot of snow and cropped well, rhubarb and raspberries do really well. pease and broadbeans were good too. im no expert in the slightest.

how is life at the inn?

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 02:37:16 pm »
I bought my seeds from simply seeds this year. Most are 99p a packet and come in smallish numbers, so you can try lots of different varieties. I don't know how good they will be as I have only just started things in the propagator. Good luck!

bucketman

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Sutherland Scotland
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 04:23:59 pm »
thanks life at the Inn is good we could do with a bit more trade but then we would moan. There is a croft close by with a mountain of cow muck out side, free to good home if I threw a load of that in would it help like horse muck going to dig some hole and try the best bit.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 05:51:00 pm »
the muck has to be rotted or at least well dug in and used for hungry crops.
are you going for a polytunnel / greenhouse?
how much snow do you get?

bucketman

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Sutherland Scotland
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 06:10:26 pm »
was just going for a little veg patch for now see how we get on. So wise it hard to say not had much the last 2 yrs

artscott

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Methlick, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 11:44:57 pm »
 If you are going for the raised beds you can save lots of digging buy smothering weeds and grass and just piling manure and then compost on top of the soil to about 6-8 inches.  Saves loads of back breaking work, look up no dig gardening for more details.
I you do want to dig and have rocky soil I would recommend one of these digging hoes https://www.chillingtontoolsonline.co.uk/trenching-hoe-head-only-p2 I had seen them used in Africa for difficult digging and brought two when we started the veg patch.  It’s the most marvellous gardening tool I have ever found.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 11:34:10 am »
An interesting way when you are getting started and have land to reclaim is to use the Irish lazy bed system.  You would need to look it up for details, but basically you spread a load of manure - the cow dung would be fine even if only partly rotted - in a strip on top of whatever vegetation is already there.  Place a couple of rows of seed potatoes on this bed of manure, spread seaweed from the shore in a thick layer on top, then turn a strip of turf from each side of the row inwards to cover the row.  You will still have some weeds coming through as the haulms grow, but as you dig the crop up in the autumn you will find it easier to prepare the soil for a finer crop the following year.  Potatoes are known as a cleaning crop because they don't mind some weeds, and need to be worked through the growing season so there are opportunities to weed as you go.   As you will want to rotate your crops, adding new beds like this will help your veg patch to expand.  :garden:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

bucketman

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Sutherland Scotland
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 06:42:58 pm »
thanks all will look into that Irish was only prob is we live inland 20 miles from the shore. Also when we moved in there was on of those hoe's lelt in the shed  :excited:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 12:09:50 am »
The seaweed is optional  :)  You could have a little trip down to the seaside with a trailer or some plastic sacks in the boot to collect some though, as it's wonderful stuff for adding trace elements and bulk.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

bucketman

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Sutherland Scotland
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 02:20:54 pm »
Going to ask one of the local's where a seaweedy shore line is as. Me and the wife cant think of one? Read up on that lazy bed way and will give it a go. Will have a try on a patch to see I can fold the top turf in. Now just got to pick what main crop of spuds to plant.
Will try and grow Kerrs pink.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS