Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Vehicles for Smallholding  (Read 14291 times)

Sweatyfarmer

• Joined Sep 2013
Vehicles for Smallholding
« on: February 11, 2014, 09:25:04 am »
A bit of an open subject this as the real answer will be dependent on individual needs and requirements but still keen to hear any views.

So, I was wondering what vehicle best suits the needs of the "average" smallholder or indeed reasons to avoid particular vehicles. My heart (but probably not my head) is always with LR Defenders but the Hilux, Ranger, Navara and L200 seem to be most prominent .....so any words of wisdom...thanks Keith

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
Re: Vehicles for Smallholding
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 10:45:34 am »
I swore by my LWB 1996 Ford Maverick.  It was more able than a landrover and you could park a small car in the back. Well, okay I exaggerate, but it was roomy. It could tow anything as well.  Not the most sophisticated vehicle but cheap, reliable and rugged.  I harrowed the fields with it on more than one occassion.

Sadly, I ended up writing it off because the mudplugger tyres I had on didn't grip on tarmac as well as I expected when braking hard.  Having said that, I rolled it at around 60mph, it was a bit dented and muddy from hitting a banked verge but the engine was still running and everything still worked (except the smashed up rear axle!) AND I walked (shakily) away with no more than a couple of slightly pulled muscles so they're tough!

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 11:27:23 am »
I'm on my second Discovery, the first was a 200 and this is a TD5 (02 plate) and I've loved them both but they're money pits when it comes to parts that need sorted by/at this age so I can't afford another, but nor can I afford to replace it with anything else so I keep it going best I can.  Defenders used to be the preference but they're now as expensive as any chelsea tractor and no longer the easy fix with a coathanger and baler twine animal they used to be.  Most folk I know now have L200s, they replaced the Hilux as the farmer choice, never had either so not sure why the shift but it's certainly the main drive now.  Never met anyone with anything good to say about a Navara so wouldn't be something I'd consider if I was changing.  I looked at a couple Rangers, they're pretty ugly but not sure what like to drive as the Disco came up through my own mechanic and even without the service book I know he's looked after it since it came off warranty.
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 11:52:33 am »
One of the main criteria for me is that if it goes wrong I need to fix it myself and parts mustn't cost the earth. Only one choice really and that's a pre electronics Land Rover. Steer clear of anything post 1998 because of the electronics. Had a few Discos but they are eaten by rust and become impossible to fix eventually. Currently have a '92 Defender 110 which does everything I want it to and is a simple old fashioned diesel that can be looked after by a man with a half inch spanner and a large adjustable spanner in case you need to hit anything. Parts are cheap and there's nothing that can't be un bolted and replaced. Also there are no carpets so when the footwells get full of mud a bucket of water will sort it out.

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 12:05:33 pm »
I use a P reg Toyota Rav 4.
Brilliant bit of kit and you can get one for about £500.

Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 12:23:09 pm »
I have an 02 navara and it's been a brilliant truck, does everything I need and tows fab. Although I know of three slightly newer ones that have all had engine problems  :-\
Husband is a mechanic and Land Rover is a swear word here, they seem to be like marmite.....you either love em or hate em!

artscott

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Methlick, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 01:39:12 pm »
2003 L200 double cab for me, fits kids, sheep, dogs and whatever else I need.  Drives like a car so wife quite likes it and we can park it in a standard space.  Lots of them about so I can get spares from scrap yard.  Engine and running gear is basic and easy to fix. Drawback is 25-27mpg (measured, not guessed at).
Another option would be an old series 2 land rover, pre taxable, insure it on classic insurance and only use it when you need too.  Use the money you save on fuel to buy a normal car for everyday use.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 02:23:38 pm »
Mitsubishi Shogun for me.

Currently have a 96 LWB model, averages 25mpg, runs great on old veg oil etc

will tow 3300Kg and all the seats fold down to make a big bed!  :thumbsup:

Plus if you REALLY take it off road it has a rear axle difflock which many other 4x4's don't have but which can make all the difference.

All depends what you're looking for but pound for pound i'd go for the older model Toyota Landcruiser, 3.1 Izuzu Trooper or a Diesel Shogun

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 03:03:46 pm »
Well i dumped the land rover for renualt kango van .I have 3 2008/2003 and a 2000 .I need to fix geabox 100 pound clutch 40 pound .Just done the drive shaft 35 just does the work cheap and yes 4/4 .Its no good a show gun clutch 500 + vat mad

Small Plot Big Ideas

• Joined May 2012
  • North Pennines, UK
    • Small Plot Big Ideas
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 03:05:19 pm »
I'm still quite impressed with the Subaru Forester that I got second hand last year - it may not have the towing capabilities of a Land Rover but it does enough for my needs with a small livestock trailer...

When I grow up I wouldn't mind a Defender though but they're probably a bit too rough and ready for the 40 mile commute to/from my day job!

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 03:08:44 pm »
Its no good a show gun clutch 500 + vat mad

I put a clutch in mine for £60  :thumbsup:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 03:27:29 pm »
R reg. Diahatsu FourTrak for me.  (Wish they hadn't stopped importing them.)  Not spacious, no central locking or air conditioning BUT they're tough as old boots, tow anything and turn on a sixpence.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 05:51:08 pm »
We had a Nissan Navara and it was brilliant, unfortunately I wrote it off, and we couldn't find another we could afford quickly, so replaced it with a Ford Ranger, which I hate.

suffolk stu

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Halesworth, suffolk
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 06:50:41 pm »
Hi Disco 3 for me as big as a van with all seats folded, air suspension brilliant for ground clearance , excellent towing 3500kgs , great off road low ratio at flick of a switch plus all mod cons and comfort for long distances.

Great on those cold a frosty mornings with front/and rear heated screens and AC plus heated seats etc.
Secondhand they are getting quite reasonable for what you get.

Downfall is low 20s to the gallon when used for towing a lot , expensive repair bills and high road tax if you buy the later versions, but i am a vehicle technician so can carry out repairs myself but some parts are still v expensive.

overall great vehicle to live with and use if budget allows

Best regards Stu

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 09:54:59 pm »
I had a Nissan Navara, which I loved. And I also had a car for long journeys and work.

Then I downsized a bit and swapped to a Nissan X-trail, which tows my mid-sized trailer, will carry a couple of goats or several bales of hay, and does the car job pleasantly too, so now I just have the one vehicle.

My heart would love a Defender, but living where I do, my head prefers the reliability of a Nissan and my rapidly-getting-older bones like the effective heaters etc too!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS