Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Our big adventure  (Read 2778 times)

fieldviewgardens

• Joined Sep 2009
Our big adventure
« on: September 17, 2009, 11:53:32 am »
Hi,
We moved to Hampshire from leafy Bucks just over a year ago and bought a 3/4 acre site with a tiny bungalow already on the plot. We applied for planning having sounded the planners out at various meetings prior to the submission and after the mandatory 8 weeks we were granted permission to build a 4 bed detached timber frame.

The plan was/is to include as many 'green' credentials as possible including Solar Thermal, Rain Water Harvest and produce as much of our own food as possible on the site. Essentially build a sustainable lifestyle by growing and raising as much of our own food as possible and utilise the natural resources around us.

Pleased to say the house is pretty much complete and we will be moving in in due course after 6 months of pretty much trouble free build .. other than the odd hiccup. Perhaps the memory fades the nearer you get to moving in ;) It as taken a huge amount of our time but we're nearly there now and that means we can get back outside and continue with evolving the plot.

If you'd like to see what we've been up to we've been running a blog pretty much since the start at http://www.fieldviewgardens.co.uk.

Thanks.

John.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Our big adventure
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 12:18:17 pm »
Just going to have a look at your blog, will be very interested. I built my own house prior to this one and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.  Would do it again if I could!

Like you mine  was relatively trouble free except when the little tin gods - oops sorry, planners, tried to stick their oars in.

Welcome to the forum.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 03:05:55 pm »
Hello from me too  ;D
Look forward to hearing more!
Karen

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 06:09:22 pm »
Hi and welcome. I'd love to build a "green' House from scratch.

sunnyjohn

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Milton Keynes
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 07:21:57 pm »
Sounds idyllic, but, as you say, your description is probably tinted by the rosey glow of near-fulfilment of a dream. For what it's worth, I was born in Hampshire, and now live in pseudo-Bucks, alias Milton Keynes! And I can completely see why you made the opposite trip.

Welcome, and I'm sure I'm not alone in yearning to hear more.

All the Best!   John (a good name, after all!)

sandy

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 08:06:47 pm »
Hello!!!!! love doing up housey stuff, never done it myself but like watching others!!!!! I can imagine there are sooo many decisions and choices to make when building, enough to give you a headache but I hope enjoyable.....welcome, look forward to seeing more!!

Troubled Waters

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 11:14:40 am »
Wow, looks like you are really going for it.  Good luck with it all and keep us posted.
 :apple:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 06:40:43 am »
Sounds really great/ :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS