Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lamb Creep Feeding Area  (Read 3028 times)

lou13

• Joined Jun 2013
Lamb Creep Feeding Area
« on: February 09, 2014, 07:55:01 pm »
Hello,
I have some of my ewes and lambs in a stable at the moment as the fields are soaked  :gloomy:
Any ideas for setting up a temporary creep feeding area for the lambs. I hope to buy a hurdle creep gate thing later on in the week but i need something for the next few days.
Thanks,
lou13

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Lamb Creep Feeding Area
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 08:47:45 pm »
Use a pallet, and cut out slats to make the appropriately sized gaps. Use offcuts to fill in the "step" bit so it is easier for them to get through. I hope that made sense!! :-)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 09:00:15 pm »
Watch out for the size of gap in the creep hurdle - it was amazing how skinny my Badger Face could make themselves and how l-o-n-g their necks could grow when required!

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 10:52:27 pm »
I have finally treated myself to a 'proper' creep hurdle - and am very disappointed :-\ (bought off e-bay).  The gaps are far too big and my Shetland ewes and wethers will easily wriggle through them.  It is also higher than my standard hurdles so I'm not sure how it will fit in with them. .
I would either stick to a pallet with cut outs or take the lowest bars off one half of an old hurdle.  Much cheaper and just as practical, if not as pretty.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 03:17:13 pm »
Ordinary hurdle but placed upside down, so that the larger gaps are at the bottom.  This would work for the smaller lambs for a while.  (and maybe place the lambs inside to begin with so they figure out how to get through the gap!)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS