Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Care Plan for my new "welfare enriched"  (Read 7649 times)

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
Care Plan for my new "welfare enriched"
« on: February 09, 2014, 12:26:57 pm »
They are in a shed which should keep them warm.  They are free feeding.  I've tried to tempt them with things other than layers pellets... and they aren't interested.

I lost one this morning (it had a bleeding bum but didn't seem eggbound?)

They are horrendously thin and featherless.

Any care tips would be very gratefully received.

I've never received ex-bats in such horrendous condition.....

Is there an improver I can buy that they will eat? 

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Care Plan for my new "welfare enriched"
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 12:46:39 pm »
there are ex-battery hen feeds - i think its d&h or allen/page, not sure.
good luck

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 01:02:43 pm »
There is a poultry tonic to put in water and some poultry spice powder to sprinkle on feed which can give them a bit of a boost but the ex batt feed as above is probably the best thing. Also warm porridge  before bed may just help thm hold some warmth.
If they aren't eating the pellets then try layers mash, it's what ex batts/barn hens are likely to have been fed before you took them on.

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 01:43:38 pm »
I tried them with porridge.... they wouldn't touch it.  I have poultry spice.  I'll nip out and get some improver and special food :)

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 04:53:43 pm »
You could try sprouting some grain for them - it's much more easily digestible than straight grain and my chickens go nuts for it. Could you also tempt them with some meal worms?
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 09:42:46 pm »
I bought some ex free range just before Christmas, not in the best condition. They are on half layers pellets/ half corn feed and look so much better, plenty of fruit veg etc. they are still off lay at the moment but are looking so much better even with the horrendous weather we have had.

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 08:17:54 am »
I can't get mine to eat anything but pellets.... Have tried, porridge, oats, corn, tomatoes, lettuce, sultana's pumpkin, and scones.... basically all my chooks favourite things! 

How do I get these ones to eat?

I am so worried about them.  I'm off to pets at home to get ex battery crumb, its expensive but I'm at work so the only place avaiable :(

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 08:43:50 am »
A good layers pellet should have everything they need. It may just take time to fatten them up. That said, we took 20 ex organic layers last year and they were a waste of time. Mad, stary eyed egg eating loons. All feather pecked and terrified of humans. We spent a fortune on them with various things to no avail. Lesson learned. I won't be the one to ease the factory farmer's guilt next time.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 10:09:47 am »
Some seem to be a horror story and some aren't - luck of the draw perhaps.  If they are in that bad condition you are likely to lose a few, particularly if some have cannibalistic tendencies.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 04:59:34 pm »
A good layers pellet should have everything they need. It may just take time to fatten them up. That said, we took 20 ex organic layers last year and they were a waste of time. Mad, stary eyed egg eating loons.

ditto, never again for us, also came with loads of redmite that took ages to eradicate from  my pedigree stock. ate like horses.
i think the worst thing was they wouldnt stay out of my veg patch - infuriatingly persistant. they did up my onions even thought they didnt even like them  :rant: :roflanim:

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 01:18:26 pm »
Well, they've gone through a bag  of layers in 4 days so obviously eating ok! No eggs but they look perkier.  Funny thing was they were laying when they first came but looked awful.  They are less timid than they were.  I've bought mealworm as a treat... so far they won't eat ANYTHING but layers!

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 01:26:55 pm »
How many do you have?

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 01:45:02 pm »
As long as they are eating good quality layers I wouldn't worry. Our rescues arrived in November, are still bald in places and a bit touchy about anything other than layers pellets. At first they only ate the mash. One thinks we have placed aliens in the run if we put veg in  :D

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 04:05:32 pm »
14,  I had 16 and 2 died with blood in their vents.  They didn't seem to have prolapses.  They went downhill in hours.

These are getting better at not running when I open the shed door.  I have them in an old feed shed,  I plan to keep them indoors til it's a bit warmer, they really are oven ready. 

I think it would be a mistake to let them out in mid winter.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2014, 12:54:57 am »
If they only recognise pellets as food, perhaps putting them on growers or even finishers pellets, if you can get them, would boost their condition? Both are more calorific than layers.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS