Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Teats very red and sore not letting kids feed from one side.  (Read 3376 times)

Thrift Bee

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Co. Wicklow
Teats very red and sore not letting kids feed from one side.
« on: February 08, 2014, 10:55:02 am »
Thats the problem. The kids are 4 weeks old now, and I'm worried she will get blockages if she doesn't let feed on that side. We haven't been taking any milk off her, but should we try to alleviate the side that is sore?

Thrift Bee

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: Teats very red and sore not letting kids feed from one side.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 12:18:03 pm »
It could be the start of a mastitis if red, hot and sore.
I would advise you speak to your vet about this, she is likely to need antibiotics and anti-inflammatories to settle down infection and make it less sore. Often stripping milk out (with or without the help of oxytocin) is a part of the treatment for mastitis, but it can be quite serious, so best get on top of it ASAP.
All the best
Suzanne

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 05:21:11 pm »
I would try milking that side and see a) what comes out, and b) if you can get any milk out. It could be that the kids just prefer the other side, and that the milk is fine, you just need to milk her on that side. Or, it could be mastitis, in which case she will need antibiotics, milked out to get rid of the nasty milk, etc.

Beth

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 05:25:01 pm »
If you have a black cup or dish, milk  it into that  you can soon see any lumps clearly

tattycat

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 08:31:38 pm »
Hiya Thrift Bee, I'm Co Cavan. I agree with what's said. You defo need to see what's coming out of there. You could try some Calendula cream to soothe the teats.
Sounds like possible Mastitis if your noticing a 'redness'. If you not sure always get vet out for diagnosis. I tend to use the vet meds for a while nd then move on to a herbal alternative. Good luck! I always worry when my girls aren't right.....
Dun Roaming Smallholding and Open Farm. Ireland on Facebook

Smallholding Weekends  in rural Ireland.
Also some 'Showing Goat's ' weekends.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 10:44:52 pm »
I'd say mastitis as well. Kids usually prefer one side and with twins one would hope they would have a side each but that would make life to easy. My first goat became quite poorly before we discovered she had mastitis (due to the fact that my goating partner of the time would finish milking her if she didn't stand still). Is the udder hot to touch? Does it feel tight? Definitely take some off and have a look at it.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 12:04:29 am »
We had the same problem last year, mum only had a single and only let him feed from one side. She wouldnt let us near her udder but after a couple of weeks of trying I called the vet and it took all 3 of us to hold her while we drained  her of milk. I was worried about mastitis too and have a horrible pre filled syringe to insert into the teat but the vet checked her and thankfully all clear.
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Thrift Bee

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Co. Wicklow
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 07:25:46 pm »
Thanks all for you advice. Just to give you an update.

Monitoring them over a longer time, she was letting them feed both sides.

I put her in the milking stand, and her milk was fine. Udder was neither too hot or too cold. Her redness turned darkas if bruised, her little boy is a bit rough with her. I read a bit about gangrene mastitis so was checking for coldness as well as hotness! Goodness the things you learn when you become a goatkeeper.

She still looks bruised, but is feeding both kids and is well in herself. I will continue to keep a close eye on her, but i have read others that had bruising and seem to recover ok.

Thanks again.
Thrift Bee

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 07:58:23 pm »
You could try rubbing with udder cream but not the menthol one. We did this last year and also used sudocrem and that helped. Poor mum had triplets and they were leaving teeth marks and she had what seemed like a split down middle of udder. Spray and cream seemed to work. She only has one this year as lost the 2nd so should be ok.  :fc:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS