Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Registering a Smallholding  (Read 14522 times)

Mickey

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Registering a Smallholding
« on: February 07, 2014, 10:06:05 pm »
Hi,
As we get nearer to finding a smallholding we are seeing the term 'Registered Smallholding' on places with half an acre upwards.  I have looked around for an explanation of this term but am still unclear.  We are likely to start off with 3-5 sheep, a couple of pigs and some chucks, would we need to 'register' as a smallholding an/or does anyone know the criteria for deciding whether to register or not as a smallholding?

Many thanks,
Mickey

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: Registering a Smallholding
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 10:43:30 pm »
I'm not sure but I think it could mean one of two things. If you want to keep four legged animals, you need to have a holding number (CPH) and flock number associated with your property so that you can log all animal movements. It's not very hard to do and costs nothing so if you're looking at a property without one, don't let that deter you.

The second option is that they've previously claimed grants under the SPS system which means they own an entitlement for the land. I've never even gone there because it's a really complex system and for the sort of level of land we own, it's just not worth it. I believe they're also increasing the minimum land you need to hold to be able to claim these grants but I can't remember what from or to.

Best thing to do is just ask what they mean. We have 8 acres of land, about 40 chickens, ducks and geese (have just sent off my poultry registration because you have to do that for over 50 birds which I hope to do this year), bees, orchards and we're about to plant 2 acres of vines but we're not registered as a smallholding. We're still trying to work out what our business structure should be.

H

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 10:11:35 am »
You need a holding number first then you can apply for a flock number which you will need before you will be permitted to buy and transport sheep to that holding legally.  Any agricultural livestock require a relevant flock/herd number to make required record keeping, tagging etc and the meat produced from any such stock completely traceable.

It is free so don't overlook an unregistered piece of land or one that is part of a larger holding and being sold off separately.  And the registration is nice but not a reason to add on purchase valuation either so don't be conned!  Transfer is as easy as application for a new holding so go with the land and buildings you want but sort the pre-sheep planning once you have it.
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 11:50:55 am »
We registered ours with Defra and Animal Health for sheep and chickens. Takes a few minutes on the phone and costs nothing. Not an 'added value' item for smallholding land.

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 12:25:02 pm »
Hi Mickey. All it means is that they have a County Parish Holding number (CPH) - which registers the land for agricultural use and allows them to keep livestock. A lot of people have started adding "registered smallholding" to the estate agent's details because it seems to attract a bit more attention from would-be smallholders.

Don't worry whether the places you're looking at have or don't have a CPH - all you need to do to register with Rural Payments Agency (Welsh Assembly here in Wales) is fill in a form. You should get your number within about a fortnight if they're not too busy. It doesn't cost anything. If the place already has a CPH, you will still have to apply, as it needs to be YOUR CPH, registered to YOU. However, don't be surprised if you get the same number!

To answer one point above, the fact that a holding is "registered" does not mean that the land automatically carries entitlements to the Single Farm Payment. This is a completely different step to getting a CPH. A CPH is required if someone wants to claim the SFP - but applying is a separate step, so don't confuse yourself at the moment.

Once you have your CPH, you'll be able to start buying your sheep, goats, pigs, etc, or whatever else you want (you don't need it for poultry/ducks, etc.). You will need to apply to Animal Health for your flock and/or herd number. Again, this doesn't cost anything. Lots of people apply for this before they get their animals, but you have three weeks from when the animals arrive to get it. Easiest thing is to get it beforehand.

If you want to message me with any specific questions, feel free. If you want me to send you a step by step guide from my book, let me know.
Good luck with your search.
Liz
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 12:53:30 pm »
To answer one point above, the fact that a holding is "registered" does not mean that the land automatically carries entitlements to the Single Farm Payment. This is a completely different step to getting a CPH. A CPH is required if someone wants to claim the SFP - but applying is a separate step, so don't confuse yourself at the moment

No, that's why I said it might be either CPH or SPS. If the land does come with a pre-existing entitlement, that is worth added value to the land (although it might lose it in the new system anyway). The CPH is worth nothing.

Mickey

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 12:47:44 pm »
You guys are brilliant!  Thank you for such great and prompt answers, we are very grateful to you.  We now have the Haynes Smallholding manual, looks a great buy and will no doubt be well used in the near future.  (Is that the one you mean Liz when you talk of a step-by-step guide?)

Not sure how long before we buy a place, we have been looking for a while now but not yet 100% on location.  We'll not be looking to make it a business, just some place to keep some animals and enjoy their company without us not being able to manage the bills. 

Thanks to everyone,
Mickey

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 09:59:37 pm »
No problem, Mickey. If you have any queries arising from the book, drop me a line. All the best, Liz.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS