Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Getting a croft tenancy  (Read 11043 times)

Scotlandfly

• Joined Feb 2014
Getting a croft tenancy
« on: February 06, 2014, 09:52:19 am »
Hello there,
I know this is a rather complicated business.
But I am looking into Crofting and want to get into sheep rearing and yarn production.

I am at present not able to buy a croft so am looking into acquiring a tenancy.
I can't find any on the market though. What I have done is registered with the SCF and asked to be put on their croft wanted list.

I looked at a few estate agents on-line but again most just sell crofts and I am looking to 'rent' so to speak.

Any other suggestions?
Looking mainly in the Inverness, Sutherland area but considering all of Highlands and Islands really as long as Croft is workable for livestock.

Thanks a lot,

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
Re: Getting a croft tenancy
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 10:10:48 am »
Most tenancys are sold on the open market and the price of a tenancy is about the same as the price of an owner occupied croft.
If you are very lucky you may find an estate that has vacant tenancys that are being 'given' away but they are like hens teeth.

Also don't forget that the house on a croft is always owned by the crofter even if it is on a rented croft so even if you get a rented croft you will probably still have to buy the house.  Not all crofts have houses on them though.

Nothing is ever simple!

Scotlandfly

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 11:21:25 am »
Oh dear, I feared as much. If I am not lucky I think I better focus on starting my business from home now until I have money to buy one...... That will take years!
I will keep my eyes open if a croft comes up, otherwise it will probably end up as having to buy one or buy a tenancy.

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 11:42:36 am »
Depending on where you are bare land crofts (without a house) often come up and might be fairly cheap (relatively).  Prices vary with location - somewhere 2 miles from Durness will be much cheaper than 2 miles from Inverness.

You may find a crofter who is willing to sub-let.  Ie rent out his land to you.  This would be on a normal tenancy so it would not have the security of a crofting tenancy and you wouldn't be able to build a house etc. but if you live in the area anyway it might be a way to get started.

Scotlandfly

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 10:30:31 am »
I do wonder...... We as a family would love to work a croft. We also like the security that a croft tenancy gives. At the moment we can't afford to buy a croft, even a bare land one. The ones that might just be affordable for us are in Shetland, and that is just a bit to far just now.
Where would crofters advertise sub-letting?

My hopes right now rest mostly on the Crofting Federation List and I am hoping something comes up there, just to get started. I will start up my spinning from home, where we are now and just buy in sheep fleeces. That way I can get a business going (hopefully) and continue that if we get a croft.

bucketman

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Sutherland Scotland
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 02:21:34 pm »
Hi ya
There is a croft with a house on by us and its empty it drive's the locals mad. People have asked about renting it but just get feed up in the end getting past from pillar to post. Am not saying the house is brill it would need some work I know it has electric and water and is water tight. It will only be a matter of time before the roof start's to leak and then that's it. On every level it's wrong it should be sold or rented to some one that would work the land and look after it. Cant see a pic of it on the net so cant send a link. All I do know is some one would pay a fortune for it as a holiday home. May be if you really want to live the dream and were up for a fight you could look into it. It just by Ledmore Junction in Sutherland will see if I can find a pic by the way it called Ledbeg cottage and is owned by the Assynt Foundation. Got a pic off st view :)
rob

« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 02:23:34 pm by bucketman »
I am going to live the dream

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 02:39:33 pm »
Isn't it the job of the Crofting Commission to ensure that crofts are occupied and worked?  :innocent:

bucketman

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Sutherland Scotland
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 04:26:44 pm »
Dont know  All I know is it was last lived in about 6 7 years ago while the guy who lives next to us started his house and one of the guy's who come's in for a pint asked about it. He even said as part of the rent he would take it as is and do what ever work. Even the head keeper's have said the people they work for would buy it at the drop of hat (and they have the money)  as a under keeper's cottage. We have had people in the pub who have said they have rung up about it. So dont know. People feel that it should be rented out to a young family with kid's at a fair rent. But that's all politic's  Honest find it on Google Map's find Ledmore Junction head to Lochinver the house is the first left from the junction down a track/road opisite the Quarry.
Never know if some one buy's rent's it they may even start being a local in the pub LOL

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 05:42:41 pm »
I don't know about tenancys but the owner occupy crofts we have considered cant be called cheap. I find them pricey especially as there isn't much work around in the areas wev looked at, and the houses are run down.
I would love an old tatty cottage so not put off by doing something up. posh is the last thing I want but cattle sheds are a must.
certainly not much cheaper than Aberdeenshire anyhow.

where do you look? theres not much on hspc.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 04:03:31 pm »
Dont get me started on ledbeg! I pass it nearly every day! The ground surrounding is owned by Vestey NOT assynt foundation and even access to it is disputed so would avoid it all costs!
as for the C C supposedly ensuring crofts are worked, thats a joke!  My ex is the named tenant on this croft and did nothing on it for 10 years, when he left I contacted the CC about me working the croft and as he is now classed as an absent tenant,  and hasbeen for 4 years now, they are still wworking through a backlog of absent tenants from 10+ years ago so I dont see a resolution to my issue any time soon  :(
there are a few other options shygirl round here and the land here was bought out by Assynt Crofters Trust and run by local directors/crofters.
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

bucketman

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Sutherland Scotland
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2014, 07:42:03 pm »
Ledbeg I was told is owned by the AF and the stacker for them shoot that side of the road and Vestey (Inchamamph) the other. The crofter's in Elphin put there sheep on it so I was under the impression the land was owned by the AF the keepers have said the family should have never sold that house and would love it back. Who's ever it is, it should not be empty Maybe that's why it is empty if it's disputed
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 07:44:59 pm by bucketman »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS