Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: how long off laying for moult?  (Read 2040 times)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
how long off laying for moult?
« on: February 05, 2014, 05:05:48 pm »
how long should a chicken be off laying for its moult?

my 2 older girls (i think they're 3) both stopped laying the week after christmas and i haven't seen an egg since!!!

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: how long off laying for moult?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 08:22:40 pm »
From my little bit of experience I've found it varies from hen to hen. My oldest girl went off lay beginning of November and has just restarted but two younger ones only went off lay for appx 3 weeks and didn't really moult much either compared to the older one. The hybrids didn't stop at all. Still waiting for our legbars to start  :huff:

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 08:25:19 pm »
waiting on my legbars as well, one of them has suddenly started to develop a redder comb this week so i'm excited i might get my first ever legbar egg very soon...

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 09:45:35 pm »
Sounds about the same as my buff orpingtons. They were really good though - they got me through when most of the others have stopped, then the new girls from last year kicked in around Christmas time and the buffs stopped and have yet to start again. I reckon they will in the next few days though.

Should also say none of mine have appeared to moult in the way I'd imagined it. Only one looked a bit bedraggled. The rest have just all seemed to get more feathers and cover up more fully where they'd lost some feathers over last year. They're certainly all looking magnificent at the moment! I need to get some photos before I trim them all for breeding.

H

« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 09:49:15 pm by HesterF »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS