Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sow lost litter  (Read 7807 times)

Tala Orchard

• Joined Nov 2012
  • North Cornwall
    • Tala Orchard
Sow lost litter
« on: February 05, 2014, 09:37:37 am »
Last week we had two sows produce litters, both had nine survive the birth all was looking fine.

This morning on going down to feed them all I could see was carnage one of the arks had been blown over and smashed strewn over the ground was the bodies of nine piglets and one mother nudging the little ones to no availe.

What do we do with the sow? Do we take one or two from the other sow for her to adopt or should we just leave her and let her dry up?

We are all distraught at this loss and any advice will be very much appreciated.

Tala
Pigs are human tooo

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Sow lost litter
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 10:08:12 am »
thats just awful, so sorry for you  :bouquet:

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 10:22:52 am »
I'm so sorry to hear about this - a truly horrendous thing to have happen  :'( :'( :'(
I've never had to try and cope through a situation like this - so what I'm about to say are just my personal thoughts.
I suppose the normal thing would be to leave the sow without piglets to dry up and get her back in pig asap, but if she seems really distressed (and pigs are clever animals so I would think she will be) you could try to foster one or two from the other litter and see how she reacts to them. You'd need to stay with them and watch her reaction carefully to make sure she allows them to feed and shows no aggression towards them. I would pick 2 of the biggest/strongest piglets to try her with. Do you have a shed or stable you could bring her into just to let you watch really closely ? If she was in an arc and took a dislike to them you could end up losing them too  :(
Keep us posted  :bouquet: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 10:29:15 am »
This wretched bloody weather, I am so sorry for you  :hug:
For me the best thing would be to lure her away from the site of the carnage and let her dry off, make sure she's out of the sight & earshot  of the other mother and piglets. She will dry up in 3 or 4 days, take her feed back to her normal ration prior to farrowing, access to water. Her udder will be full and painful for a few days so push a couple of 400mg ibruprofen (ketofen is usual for animals but same stuff basically) in a banana or tomato and administer for pain for a couple of feeds. She will be vociferous and restless for a few days but generally they get over it fairly quickly, after she's dried up she'll come back into season and you could put her back in with the boar to occupy her mind.
I wouldn't try to foster other piglets on her it won't work in this case.
How old were the piglets? if they were only a couple of weeks old then I would make a huge really hot bonfire and burn them, however if they're bigger and older you may have to call the fallen stock people out to collect them. This is such a sad thing but get cleared up as quick as you can because of foxes etc, you don't want them tempted to your other piglets.
HTH
All the best :hug:
mandy :pig:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 10:34:19 am »
I'm with Mandy on this one.  Whether it's ewe, cow or sow they do feel the loss of offspring very keenly, and  fostering on can work well with the fist two, but we have to bear in mind that pigs are omnivores.  If you did try and foster on and she turned on the piglets you'd have an even more horrible situation to deal with.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 10:44:32 am »
No advice as I am very inexperienced with pigs, but I am very sorry and hope your sow is OK.

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 10:54:34 am »
I'll respect Mandy's advice on this one - I've not had to go through this so was just thinking out loud (and from a mother's point of view)
BUT I wouldn't advise burning the carcasses - you could end up in hot water unless you have authorisation to do so http://www.defra.gov.uk/ahvla-en/disease-control/abp/fallen-stock-faq/
Our fallen stock guys collect bagged piglets from us (still borns, early losses etc.) and normally only charge £10 for this, or nothing if we drop the bag off to them for incineration.
Karen x

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 11:15:19 am »
BUT I wouldn't advise burning the carcasses - you could end up in hot water unless you have authorisation to do so http://www.defra.gov.uk/ahvla-en/disease-control/abp/fallen-stock-faq/
Our fallen stock guys collect bagged piglets from us (still borns, early losses etc.) and normally only charge £10 for this, or nothing if we drop the bag off to them for incineration.
Karen x
Very true HH BUT if like us your nearest fallen stock are an 80 mile round trip away and given the current weather conditions in the south and state of roads and transport in general it is a viable option. common sense dictates its more hygienic to dispose of by burning. Mixed with all the other ash from a molten hot fire the remains are negligible. At least this way rotting carcasses etc aren't smelling away waiting to be disposed of and attracting vermin. Its also upsetting to have them around in this state.
Just my thoughts in this particular situation.
Mandy :pig:

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 11:26:19 am »
I'm not disputing that Mandy and of course there are always circumstances beyond our control - I'm just pointing out the legalities that pig keepers are supposed to be bound by  :innocent:
Burning on site is not widely used as one of the approved disposal methods - I just wanted folks to be aware of that  ;)  :-* :hug:

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 04:33:50 pm »
What a horrible thing to happen. :'(
Agree with Mandy and get her away from the site and dry her up. Had a similar thing a few years ago and within a few days the sow was back to normal. As to the disposal of the piglets I would burn them, not technically the right thing to do but it won't hurt.

Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 05:14:05 pm »
ref burning carcusses - my knackerman charged 60p for the collection and disposal of a newborn piglet -and hes an hour away. if you havent time/access because of bad floods etc - just stick inside a bag in the freezer til he can collect. obviously not with your food.

quite heart-breaking.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 05:34:08 pm »
That is very sad indeed. I would get her away from the scene as soon as you can. Get her somewhere comfortable to recover for a few days then back to the boar. She'll forget it a lot quicker than you will.

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 07:54:40 pm »
So sorry about your piggies  :'(  :bouquet:

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 08:48:30 pm »
So sorry to hear about the devastation  :( :(
Can't give any advice, just condolences  :bouquet: :bouquet:

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 10:41:38 pm »
What a rotten thing to have happened and horrid for you to find.  So sorry  :bouquet: :bouquet: :bouquet:
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS