Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kune Kunes incoming!  (Read 9477 times)

HappyHippy

Re: Kune Kunes incoming!
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2014, 03:54:29 pm »
 ::) Isn't that always the way of it !

If they've not heard anything by Monday it might be worth giving the office a phone - just in case it's waylaid.
Of course, you could always move them all onto your holding and in 3 weeks time move the ones who need to, to your friends (they're bound to have the CPH through by then) if you're really desperate to get them  ;D (I know what it's like, I'm the most impatient person in the world  :innocent:)

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2014, 03:58:51 pm »
Yeah us too!  ;D

We could take them all at a push but there is 9 of them including a boar, 2 sows (mothers) and 6 piglets.

Four of the piglets (6 months) are castrated boys but two are girls and we don't really have another place to keep them split up.

If it needed doing we could manage but would rather wait till we can get them all at once and split them.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 10:08:45 am »
Found another young boar locally!

Kune Kune OCD!!  :thumbsup:

HappyHippy

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 01:35:34 pm »
Oh be warned....... they're completely addictive  ;D  :innocent:

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2014, 09:40:24 am »
Thursday is the day!  :thumbsup:

quick question re picking them up.

The two sows are running with 6 x 7 month piglets quite happily.

The boar is currently kept in the next pen so they do sniff and touch each other without getting full contact.

We plan to put the boar in with the sows at our place so should they be ok to put in the trailer all together or would it be worth making two trips?

HappyHippy

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2014, 12:33:46 pm »
Unless you've got a dividing gate for the trailer I'd make two trips - safer for all concerned  :thumbsup:
The younger pigs.......are any of them intact boars? If they are you need to separate them from the gilts asap, though it might already be too late  :-\

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2014, 01:45:55 pm »
All four young boys are castrated, only the boar is intact.  :thumbsup:

I think I've managed to borrow a large horse trailer with three partitions so I'm hoping this will let me do them in one trip, (the trip is a good two hours each way)

Boar in one partition, rest split between the other two?

I also had a look at some links after I posted this and regulations say sexually mature pigs of different sex must be kept separate for transportation?

Thats what I plan to do now anyway but is it law or just a recommendation?

Wouldn't fancy the boar getting jiggy with the ladies whilst i'm driving down the motorway!!  :innocent:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 01:48:34 pm by Clansman »

HappyHippy

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2014, 08:03:59 pm »
If we're transporting our boar it's only ever just him so I'm not 100% sure on whether it's an enforceable recommendation.......but it's not a good idea - he could try and mount them and get hurt, he could catch them with his tusks and they could get hurt, the sows could turn on him........whatever way you look at it - better for him to be on his own for the journey  ;)

I'd keep sows together, young stock together and boar on his own - good luck with them and remember, plenty of hay on the ramp for loading (though kunekune normally just follow the bucket and don't give you too much of a runaround  :innocent:

Ooooooh exciting  :excited:

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2014, 10:41:57 am »
They're here!  :thumbsup:

on the advice of the previous owner we stuck them all together in the horse trailer and they were no bother whatsoever, everyone just laid down together when we got underway  :thumbsup:

all nine trooped happily up the ramp in a line following a bucket of pellets and did the same again when unloading  :thumbsup:

So easy this pig keeping, I don't know what all the fuss is about!  :innocent: (we were very lucky, I know!)

We did however end up with all nine of them when a last minute "intervention" by our friend's wife changed his pig keeping plans!  ::)

HappyHippy

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2014, 08:56:46 pm »
I always think once you've had kunekunes you're wasted for anything else  :innocent:
I've not met another breed of pig in all my time, that's so easy and willing to follow you/a bucket - it's like taking a dog for a walk  :thumbsup:
We did a bit of swapping around tonight in the shed (piglets to wean and mammys to move) and it was all done and dusted in no time - none of the silly antics that we've found with the bigger breeds  ;)

PHOTOS REQUIRED  :excited:

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2014, 10:08:54 am »
I'll get some more pics up soon  :thumbsup:

Bruce the boar got it on with one of the ladies yesterday evening (same mother to the older piglets), so hopefully if everything works and my calculations are correct for the 116 days we should have piglets for the 4th of July  :thumbsup:

HappyHippy

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2014, 01:08:10 pm »
Bruce ? Your boar's called BRUCE ? That's my OH's name  :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

He looks a nice pig  :thumbsup:
Are they registered ? If you have details could you email me on kkjmckay@aol.com please ?
Because the breed is so limited it's nice to know what bloodlines are where and when piglets are due/boars are available for stud duties and in my 'role' as BKKPS Scottish rep I should be able to point potential customers in your direction  :thumbsup:

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2014, 01:31:06 pm »
I have no idea if they have ever been registered or really what it means  :innocent: Is it for the pedigree?

The country park/petting farm we got them from didn't know either so I'm guessing they aren't.

I do know he came from Halifax area and could probably get the previous owner details if that would help or can they not be registered later?

p.s. Bruce was the name the country park gave him (he answers to it)  ;D

He'll be 4 in July and the sows will be 3 in July.

***EDIT***

Karen, the two girls apparently came from a breeder "near Muirkirk", could it be you?? lol

from memory they think the lady they dealt with, worked or was from a large estate near Hurlford

They went to Dean Castle country park in Kilmarnock but they haven't got any more details..  :innocent:

Here they are.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 03:17:37 pm by Clansman »

HappyHippy

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2014, 04:56:54 pm »
Lovely girls  :thumbsup:
I don't think I'd be classed as 'near Muirkirk'......but maybe I am  :thinking:

Have a look at their ears and see if they have ear tags - if they do, try and get a note of the numbers - if they are pedigree and registered I'll be able to trace them from that - any breeding gilts I've sold have always been tagged - but just because they don't have tags, it's not to say they've never had them - they might have had them and ripped them out. Without either a tag, a pedigree certificate or a clear 'previous owner history' it's going to be almost impossible to find out though.

If the adult pigs haven't been registered then you'll not be able to birth notify or register any of their offspring (or advertise them on the BKKPS website). So it's worth trying to find out  :thumbsup:
HTH

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2014, 05:09:20 pm »
The ear tags have what I assume is the Dean Castle numbers at present, does that help?  :innocent:

Boar is - AA0798  10

sows are -  AA0798  8 and AA0798  9

I assume from that we "should" be able to trace back via ScotEID and find the breeders?

Would they pass that info on to us?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS