Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Border Terrier or Cavalier King Charles  (Read 9609 times)

Unicorn

Border Terrier or Cavalier King Charles
« on: September 15, 2009, 02:23:00 pm »
Hello

I have a Cavalier King Charles and I wish to get some more dogs, small friendly pet ones that can live indoors and be part of the family.

Question is what would be best Border Terrier or Cavalier King Charles.  It would be nice to get
all your opinions on which of these two to choose, as I am not sure.

Looking forward to hearing your views.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 02:24:56 pm by Unicorn »

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: Border Terrier or Cavalier King Charles
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 03:03:28 pm »
OOh I'd go for a border terrier, I would love one but not allowed to have anymore dogs (3's enough apparently!) they are smashing little dogs, king charles spaniels dont do it for me I'm afraid!

Norfolk Newby

• Joined Aug 2009
  • West Norfolk, UK
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 04:17:51 pm »
I've got a Cavalier King Charles and a better natured dog would be hard to find.

However...

He is a bit lazy - preferring to spend all day in bed if allowed. I've also got a Cocker and she is a typically crazy creature. So, if Charlie wants his share of whatever is going, he has to fight for it. This has made him much fitter than he would be otherwise.

Recently, Charlie has had a stroke which left him a bit unsteady on his pins and impaired vision in one eye. The vet has patched him up and said that heart problems are quite common with King Charles spaniels. Charlie is on the mend and with the Vet's pills, he is much more lively and - hopefully - happy.

So, if I was looking for another dog, I would be very tempted to get another Cavalier King Charles but I would be careful with his diet and exercise. I would probably get the puppy's heart checked before accepting it as well.

NN
Novice - growing fruit, trees and weeds

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 05:20:56 pm »
I like both, although I've never owned either breed. If I had to choose though, it woudl be the Border Terrier for me. I think they have everything - small enough but still "real" dogs. A bit rufty tufty without the aggression that some other terrier breeds have. And that wee monkey face...

Yup, definitely the Border Terrier.

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 05:33:48 pm »
My granny had lots of Cavalier King Charles dogs through the years and they were lovely (if a little lazy) dogs  ;)
But if it was MY choice - I'd be getting the terrier, they just look sooooo cheeky and full of fun  ;D

Unicorn

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 07:50:23 pm »
I've got a Cavalier King Charles and a better natured dog would be hard to find.
I would be very tempted to get another Cavalier King Charles but I would be careful with his diet and exercise. I would probably get the puppy's heart checked before accepting it as well.

NN

Hiya - these two reasons are also why I would like more Cavaliers - but I have had four, and now am down to one, one died of a peptic ulcer when in pup (The one I now have's Mother).  Her Sister and Daddy were poisoned by strickneen put out by a farmer just before christmas last year to get badgers off his land, my dogs unfortunately ate the stuff and died quickly, according to my vet.

The one I have now I dearly love to bits and cannot imagine life without her - and thats the problem.  I always wanted to breed them, but have had bad luck, and an apprehensive to buy more although I would be happy with ten of them at my heels. :D

I think my Ruby may be ill, she scratches her head a lot, and is a bit crazy, I'm gonna have her to the vets to check her out and mention it to them.

Never had a Border Terrier but OH has, and likes them.  Want to get something soon so that my CKC has a little friend to play with.

Where's Annie - I need her opinion too ::) - thanks guys for your replies so far  ;D ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 09:24:26 pm »
I've been waiting to see what others have said first, as personally I wouldn't have either of them.  I'm honoured that you think my opinion is useful.  There is actually a little questionnaire on the Kennel Club Website that you can try to see which breed suits you best.  http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/findabreed/

OK - First of all, ask your vet about Syringomyelia if Ruby is scratching her head a lot.  It may just indicate she has fleas but it could be the onset of this disease. 

If you decide on another Cavie make sure the parents have been DNA tested for all the known disorders on the KC list, including the above one.  The same goes for the Border.   I'm sorry but Cavies and Borders just don't turn me on at all.  I like a breed with character and enthusiasm, although they are more difficult to train.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 11:36:35 pm »
Just want to add a vote for the border terrier. I love their cheeky attitudes. Although if you love cavalier king charles then maybe you should stick with what you love. I have always had terriers and they suit my personality (stubborn balshy) but about 20 years ago i was persuaded to rescue a collie x. He had a good life and died a couple of years ago, but I always felt guilty that i never quite managed to love him as much as the terriers.
kirsty

gillandtom

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Stirling
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 07:22:57 am »
Although not a king charles we do  have a 1 year old cocker spaniel.  She came from the spaniel rescue and although we have only had her 6 months I cant believe how much love our whole family has for her.  She is completly bonkers when she is out  but is really great in the house.  ::)

Lizmar

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Carrick on Suir - Tipperary Ireland
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 02:21:27 pm »
Well you know what I'm going to say - get a Jack Russell.  Yes I know I had problems with my one at first, but he just needed a bit of training.  It didn't take long as they are really bright.  I've had all sorts of dogs from lurchers to labradors to spaniels, but I have to say this is the first small dog and I don't know why I never had one before.

Also thought they like the outdoors, they are really homely dogs and my one will only sleep in my bed, so can be a bit on the spoilt side as well if you let them, which I'm afraid I do!
Liz

chickenfeed

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 08:30:54 pm »
 :) i have had english bul terriers, rotties & jack russels but this year i got my 1st border terrier she is so loyal quick to learn and egar to please i would not be without her. she is so laid back but when it comes to play time with my two 3 year old grandchildren she just lets herself go. the other day she dissapeared with my garndson i found them both asleep curled up together. on and off the lead no problem she is just 11 months old. my daughter was so taken with her she went and brought one for my grandson so we now have double the pleasure at walk times and play time.love them both to bits.

Unicorn

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 09:09:42 pm »
Whats really been lovely about this question is all the LOVE in the replies
and the feelings of warmth and great stories that you have all shared about
the doggies in your life - its really nice.

Just want to add a vote for the border terrier. I love their cheeky attitudes. Although if you love cavalier king charles then maybe you should stick with what you love. I have always had terriers and they suit my personality (stubborn balshy) but about 20 years ago i was persuaded to rescue a collie x. He had a good life and died a couple of years ago, but I always felt guilty that i never quite managed to love him as much as the terriers.

This one made my decision, I will stick with the Cavalier King Charles, as I want to be able to love the new dog as much as I do Ruby.
Found out that Ruby has a Mite infection in her right ear, and it is easliy treated with canaural ear drops that I got from my vet - she should stop the scratching in a few days.

Your answers have made me place a new topic in Coffee Lounge. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS