Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: breeding rabbits to eat  (Read 2756 times)

dizzy1pig

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Leuchars, Fife
breeding rabbits to eat
« on: February 03, 2014, 01:23:55 pm »
I have on behalf of a friend been asked to find out about breeding rabbits to eat..so....
1. what do I need, type of rabbits
2. any idea where I can source them from
thanks in advance

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: breeding rabbits to eat
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 08:36:16 am »
it's a really widespread practice in France. As far as I know you start with two trapped wild rabbits and they multiply from there. The only rabbits for sale here, from what I have seen, are decorative pets at crazy prices or the ones in the chillers at the supermarkets.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
Re: breeding rabbits to eat
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 12:29:57 pm »
Hi Dizzy,

New Zealand Whites or Californians are the main domestic meat breeds, they are BIG rabbits, not quite hare size but getting there!

You need at least a buck and a doe in separate cages/hutches/runs etc and maybe another two places to keep the youngsters once they have been sexed.

I have New Zealand Whites in Ayrshire and Julie Wall has them up in the North East of Scotland but I had one hell of job finding any NZW above Birmingham when i started!

I have some unrelated stock, does at 9 weeks and a buck nearly 5 months if you were after some NZW's?

In fact i'll be in Broxburn outside Edinburgh on Sunday morning if you fancy a wee trip over the bridge?  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS