Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what to use to create a hedge for screening?  (Read 7206 times)

hafod

• Joined Jan 2013
what to use to create a hedge for screening?
« on: February 02, 2014, 09:29:52 pm »
So......my neighbours have had their house on the market for a while and are finding it difficult to sell. I guess understandably they are a bit nervous about us wanting to put up another polytunnel on a bit of land they sort of over look. I wondered if anyone could suggest some quick growing hedging which could provide an effective screen between us?
Alternatively if anyone who wouldn't mind a polytunnel would like to move next door to me I'll happily pass on the details ;D

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: what to use to create a hedge for screening?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 09:49:13 pm »
poplars grow really really fast though our began to snap after 5 years but it may be a quick screen whilst something more substantial establishes. our rose hedging took about 3 yrs to get to 6ft which i think is still quite quick.

MelRice

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 10:28:41 pm »
Have you thought about a bamboo screen... It would get high enough to hide the polytunnel but not so high as to over-shadow it.

Or you could use willow. It would grow fast and you could keep hacking it down to keep control.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 10:32:47 pm »
We've just about to plant a vineyard and have been advised to plant Italian Alder as a fast growing windbreak. Mind you, I don't think it'll be fast enough growing to hide a polytunnel this season.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 11:10:33 pm »
we planted bamboo, and although it does actually give you loads of handy bamboo canes - it can get messy looking and has to be tidied up. ours seems to be a perenial so loses its height after its trimmed or looks messy if its not trimmed.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 05:34:42 pm »
If anyone has any spare bamboo that I could come and get a chunk off I'd be very grateful  :eyelashes:  I've been looking online and the prices are astronomical.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 05:50:37 pm »
we dont have anymore than we planted 5 years ago as we got the non-spreading type from Victoriana Nursery. it completely regenerates every year. but it hasnt spread at all. about 5 plants give a good supply of canes.

http://www.victoriananursery.co.uk/Mammoth_Miscanthus/

its in our tenants garden so it looks a mess but just needs the loose bits gathering and a good trim.

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 07:01:50 pm »
Willow too is quick growing and if woven into a screen it will root and grow.

Jerusalem artichokes grow high but obviously an 'annual' and die down over the winter.

hafod

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 08:02:07 pm »
very tempted with willow....

hafod

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 07:27:32 pm »
can anyone recommend some online suppliers??
Thanks

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 07:56:49 pm »
Ours is coming from Ashridgetrees.co.uk

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 10:59:07 am »
I would vote for willow too - mainly as it's the only thing I seem to be able to grow. We put 20 odd sticks in 2 winters ago and all of them have done well dispite our dreadful weather and high winds. I will definately be planting more.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 09:33:37 am »
Willow is the bane of my life! Its really wet around here with lots of open ditches etc and I seem to spend my life removing Willow! 

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 12:30:02 pm »
If anyone has any spare bamboo that I could come and get a chunk off I'd be very grateful  :eyelashes:  I've been looking online and the prices are astronomical.

We have some but it's a bit of a drive... ;)
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 12:35:44 pm »
very tempted with willow....

Remember with willow that once it's in... it's there for ever. The harder you cut it, the harder it grows back. I chainsawed a neighbour's shrub/tree down to a low stump (with permission!) and within a year it was 15' tall with stems of an inch thick in places. Incredibly fast growing but you don't want it anywhere near foundations.

If that's not a problem, willow fedging is attractive, easy to do and cheap (free if you can find someone like "Me" who will let you cut the whips for them)
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS