Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What weed matting for large areas  (Read 2448 times)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
What weed matting for large areas
« on: February 02, 2014, 08:01:01 pm »
We are doing major landscaping to the front courtyard area which is involving some great bedrock boulders along with large areas of gravel - I know gravel isn't the best as little seeds settle between the stones and weeds grow, but it's the cheapest by far option for us as we have such a big area to do.

Anyone know which weed control matting is best?  Thanks in advance.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: What weed matting for large areas
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 08:26:55 pm »
one of the heavy geotex types used under driveways

they don't decompose over time and means you only have to worry about seeds germinating and they are easy to remove...

deep rooted stuff cant come through from underneath...

http://www.scotplantsdirect.co.uk/heavy-duty-woven-weed-fabric-tough/prod_84.html

some thing like that, all joins should have a good 18 inch overlap...

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 09:22:53 pm »
one of the heavy geotex types used under driveways

yes we used that with hardcore and gravel, we sewed up any bits that needed 2 widths so the overlap didnt rise up in time. we also used the thinner fabric stuff with mulch to cover the ground between the trees etc. the only thing is weeds still get blown in and grow but the main reason we covered the ground was to cover a horrendously fierce dock problem.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 09:31:13 pm »
i've put it under gravel. rock, decorative bark.

never had a problem with weed regrowth just hoe the top surface when stuff germinates takes about 2 minutes....

although i get really obsessive and like to rake pretty patterns into large areas of gravel and weeding means i have to re rake it....

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 07:56:38 am »
 ;D  thanks both, I'll take a look at that Bloomer, it's all in the prep as ever and from previous gravel drive experience if it's worth doing ........ etc

Many thanks, we'll be doing it around the end of the month, think I'll put on some pics as we go for future reference  ;)
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 06:04:58 pm »
Just bought some and it arrived today.  Will tell you how it goes, many thanks.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS