Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pheasants  (Read 5067 times)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Pheasants
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2014, 08:09:11 pm »
yep, if you can run fast you can have some. if they leave our woods they get shot by the neighbours so we have a fair few taking sanctuary.

Dreich Pete

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2014, 11:06:26 pm »
The subject has shifted slightly but it's an area that is significant around me. We live between two estates: one very large one (a few thousand acres) and a much smaller one (probably a few hundred acres) and they both run shooting parties, but according to my neighbours, only the large estate breeds/stocks the pheasant and partridge. What the smaller estate does do is put feeders on their land. Now there's no reason to do this other than to 'encourage' the large estate's birds across, and as much as I dislike the whole shooting for pleasure malarkey, I also recognise that luring livestock onto their land is dubious, and yet nothing has been done to stop it.

When the birds are on my land I consider them as wild birds - they're not mine but the owner has no right to take them off my property - but when they're on the road, or any other persons land around here, they seem to be 'fair game' for anybody. I do wonder who owns them once they've been 'set free'. Perhaps that's precisely what has happened: the breeder has released them from their ownership.

It's an odd arrangement, but like so many other aspects of country life, things aren't always clear cut. I seem to discover a new example on a weekly basis. If my dogs didn't insist on chasing them I might just encourage a few to stay around.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 11:11:50 pm by Dreich Pete »

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, 09:21:50 am »
its interesting pete. i dont see the wild pheasants as mine at all but i wont let anyone shoot on my land.

however if i had bought thousands (they do get sold in the tens of thousands as day olds etc) and id raised them and fed them id see them as mine. every pheasant area iv seen has plenty of feeders and trees and crops grown specifically for cover etc so  i dont see releasing them into that environment as fair game for others. (excuse the pun) but obviously they arent fenced in and can fly away so its tricky. if think the gamekeeper has his work cut out keeping them there til shooting begins.

btw thainstone poultrty mart sells different pheasants so your local mart may be a source for you OP.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2014, 01:42:39 pm »
When the birds are on my land I consider them as wild birds - they're not mine but the owner has no right to take them off my property

If they are on your land, you are the owner  :thumbsup:

Putting feeders out to attract someone else's birds is a dirty trick but they are doing nothing wrong.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS