Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How many litters a year and when?  (Read 2416 times)

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
How many litters a year and when?
« on: February 02, 2014, 09:45:38 am »
I recently bought a gilt which I plan on breeding from the boar is booked for mid March so her litter would be due June/July I don't want her farrowing in winter ideally so I wouldn't put her back too the boar till December time for feb/March litter?

HappyHippy

Re: How many litters a year and when?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 10:53:14 am »
I aim for putting to the boar in September and March for January and July litters (mainly because I like to show when I get a chance and the dates coincide)
I always find the January litters sell better since you're weaning them and they're ready to go March / April time but later litters (weaned and ready to go September) aren't in such high demand. If you're raising them yourself for pork it's not a concern obviously but worth thinking about if you want to sell weaners.
October/November for February/March litters  ;)
Good luck and keep us posted  :thumbsup:

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 11:59:13 am »
I suppose the January litters wouldn't be too bad if I could make it end off jan/feb around about now time how soon after a pig farrows do you put them back with the boar? When piglets are weaned?

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 01:17:05 pm »
Yes, providing they've not lost a lot of condition. Some sows 'milk off their backs' and no matter how much feed you give them, always lose body condition. In this case, missing one season and letting them recover would be the best idea. Too long a break can result in the litter size dropping away, or in some cases, make it impossible to get them back in pig.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 06:02:24 pm »
Electricity supply for heat lamps, how wet your ground gets in Winter, whether or not your water supply freezes (sows drink a LOT to produce all that milk) - some of the things which may help select the right time of year.

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 07:04:40 pm »
I have litters most months of the year and it doesn't seem to really make much difference. I tend to feed my sows well while pregnant so that they keep condition whilst feeding. This also means they can go back in with the boar straight after weaning. A lot depends on your facilities, mine come in to farrow so weather doesn't make much difference.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 10:24:03 am »
We are trying to have a steady supply of porkers all year round so farrowings can be anytime. Our favourite sow will have farrowed three times in 14 months but like BB says a lot depends on their condition. We're not at the mercy of the show circuit so don't have to plan around that and we don't sell weaners but if we did I'd definitely be trying to have them ready to go in the spring.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 11:11:05 am »
We aim to have litters Jan, March & July from 2 sows so strict management of their diets and time with the boar is needed. We show so the Jan & July litters are important to us. Piglets shift best March thro May so if you aim to farrow 8wks before end of March you should have no probs selling them. You have to decide what works for you, fits in round your life, e.g this year no jan litter for us as i went into hospital in nov to have my back rescaffolded so we've delayed to beginning March, given horrid weather this year its been a blessing. But look at your diary for the year and plan accordingly, of course you can't take plan for everything but sitting down with the calendar ceratinly makes life simpler. Its not rocket science, your sow is preganat for just uner 4mths + 8wks to raise her litter and then it can start all over again, so its roughly a six mth plan.
HTH
Mandy :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS