Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tightening stock fence?  (Read 5508 times)

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
Tightening stock fence?
« on: December 11, 2013, 07:53:31 pm »
Hi all- I have a straight 100M stock fence ending at either end at a wall that I have just finished. I have not tightened it yet- is there an easy way? Was going to treat it as two 50M lengths and pull each one towards the middle straining post with my tractor if that makes sense? Or is there a better to way?
Thanks!

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: Tightening stock fence?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 07:57:03 pm »
assuming you have strainers at each end, and a bit of room to still wrap wires round the posts you can still strain onto the posts with monkey strainers etc.

but i cant think of any reason not to do the double pull into the middle it will probably be easier...

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 06:15:52 am »
We use threaded tensioners here fitted into loops bent at each end of the wires Fieldfare. A 10mm tensioner at each end of the wire takes up about 6" of slack. Our new chicken enclosure uses 40 of them to keep it all in place. You wouldn't need a tractor, other than to pull the wire as tight as possible before fitting a tensioner. Of course it is then very easy to take down or slacken off to replace posts, which may be a big advantage. Perhaps over that length 12mm tensioners would be better.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 01:52:42 pm »
If I was in your situation unable to get a pull at either end because of the wall I would do as you suggest and strain it into the middle. I've just done a similar piece of fence here.

Mat the bear

• Joined Dec 2013
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 09:10:22 pm »
Put gripples in the middle easy to tighten any time

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 09:28:13 pm »
but if you dont have a gripple tool they are very expensive!!!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 07:20:04 am »
I tighten my stock fences by pulling them with the quadbike. And if I had them ending at walls, I'd pull them from the middle, as you describe. I'm sure that will work.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 07:50:06 pm »
You can tweak each horizontal with fencing pliers. Just put a kink in here and there.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 02:03:43 pm »
First I'd make sure that you have not 'hard stapled it' to any of the fence posts and that the fence is straight to the sky and not to the floor (ie not up and down attached to the floor, you can fill any gaps under in with stones after) - (its the fence from the stays either end that keeps the posts up in the middle - not the posts in the middle keeping the fence up if you get my meaning).

Tighten the fence in the 100M only ramming the staples in to a point where they 'grip' on posts designed to take/stop movement.  No good hard stapling to every fence post , makes adjustment hard at a later date, if the stay post goes it pulls all the fence over etc etc
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 02:05:33 pm by bazzais »

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 10:34:25 pm »
there are handheld fence tighteners that are like a bar that pulls the wire tight, but a tractor is good aslong as your strainers are tight.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS