Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sick piglet  (Read 4870 times)

Lucky

• Joined Sep 2009
sick piglet
« on: September 10, 2009, 01:39:40 pm »
Hi..i've been breeding for sometime now and this is the first sick piglet to date.....she was about 5weeks when it first started and the first signs where not eating and wanting to stay in the house. Within the next 48hrs i noticed that the back legs looked bruised but by now she is eating and drinking again and stumbling around (which is a good sign)(the eating and drinking that is) the most puzzling thing is that the skin on the nose and ears has started to peel away, has this happened to anyone else??

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: sick piglet
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 02:48:48 pm »
Could she have come in contact with any substance

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 03:25:49 pm »
I agree - sounds like a poison of some sort.  I would see the vet
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Lucky

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 04:04:19 pm »
Hi...thanks for that. I'm pretty sure the piglet has remained in its pen where i'm  sure there are no nasties but there is always that chance that she could have got out for a roam about...it has happened before, they are very inqusitive...
she does seem a little better, over the worst i would even say...she is eating and drinking well.  Its just her skin, her skin underneath is healthy.

Thanks again

Higgins11

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 12:18:07 am »
white pig??? could she have gotten sunburned??

Lucky

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 12:04:22 pm »
Yeh i also thourght of sunburn....the little piglet is certainly a fighter, she holds her own in a litter of 11...my feeling is that she is over the worse and is making a steady recovery..many thanks for your ideas..

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 08:36:22 pm »
Yep - defo sounds like Sunburn.  The 'staggering around' bit is a classic sign.   Sounds like she's on the mend now tho. Bless  :pig:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 06:34:53 am »
If it is sunburn and her skin becomes split, then E45 cream is very good.

Lucky

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 01:23:29 pm »
she is really shedding her skin..almost like a snake...her ears are the worst, very sore....i've been putting some cream on her, i've been using Aloe Vera...very soothing.

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 09:56:50 am »
Eh, what did the vet say?

Lucky

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 02:02:40 pm »
I haven't called the vet as of yet...i believe she is making a steady recovery...

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 05:31:58 pm »
any chance its been eating weeds. which is it that makes them photo sensitive. The bruising i thought could have been rodent poison but im sure you would know if it had eaten anything like that. if a poisoned rodent is then eaten does the poison remain active.

Di

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 07:45:50 pm »
Could it be erisypalas (sorry not sure of spelling)?  This can cause peeling skin I believe, but also diamond shaped marks on the skin.

Not seen it personally but just a suggestion.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS