Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is it possible to keep chickens and ducks together?  (Read 8537 times)

jenni

• Joined Mar 2008
Is it possible to keep chickens and ducks together?
« on: March 29, 2008, 03:45:57 pm »
I would like to know if it is possible to keep chickens and ducks running together free range?
Would they all get on together? Also would cross breeding be a problem?
Thanks for any advice.

rustyme

Re: Is it possible to keep chickens and ducks together?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 04:08:39 pm »
Hello Jenni,
             chickens and ducks should get on fine together once used to eachother. I kept all sorts together and had very few upsets. As for cross breeding, they are different species so no problems on that score at all . Ducks will need plenty of water , so keep an eye on any young chickens in case they fall in !!! I just used lots of shallow bowls with water about 4"-6" deep and never had one problem . The only duck to cause any problems was a big old muscovy , he would go for anything that got near him . All the other ducks and chickens just kept out of his way ....as did I ...I kept ducks , geese , chickens , guinea fowl and even a few pheasants that got out of pens , doves and for a while peacocks. They all managed to get on ok , so you should be ok . As with any animals ,when you get new ones introduce them carefully and keep an eye on them for a few days. Hope thats of some help...

cheers

Russ

jenni

• Joined Mar 2008
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 04:19:01 pm »
Hi Russ. Thanks so much for all the advice. Will take note of the water - Good point, i hadn`t thought about that.
I haven`t got the chickens and ducks yet but hope to in the near future.
Thanks again.  :)

rustyme

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 04:27:56 pm »
no probs....good luck when you get them .... ;D

Russ

ps: ducks need plenty of water to keep their eyes clean and their feathers in shape , as well as just to play in . Chickens need a dry area (covered maybe) , so they can dust bath in ,Thats how they keep clean and in good order.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 08:06:50 pm »
If you don't give chooks a dust bath, they will make one of their own - and they don't care where! I've just replanted the lavender where last year's bath was!

jenni

• Joined Mar 2008
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 09:41:01 pm »
Hi Rosemary. Thanks for advice on dust baths for chooks. Will remember that.
Hope your lavender grows second time around.  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS