Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weed Control Fabric - where to buy  (Read 6916 times)

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Weed Control Fabric - where to buy
« on: January 27, 2014, 09:55:11 pm »
We need to get a lot of weed control fabric (mulch mat rolls) - about 3km in total. Any suggestions about the best place to get it from? Cheap!

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: Weed Control Fabric - where to buy
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 09:58:32 pm »
those kind of quantities you can probably go straight to a manufacturer and get it shipped on pallets...

what kind of quality are you after the thin cloth like stuff or the thicker stuff that goes under hardcore for paths etc.

what width have you assumed for your 3km requirement

as if you have areas to cover you can get wider sheets that are much easier to lay...

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 10:01:14 pm »
3km?? wow

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 10:14:01 pm »
Thin stuff to plant through. We're planting 2 acres of vineyard plus hedging to act as a windbreak. So 300m is for the hedging, then we're planting just under 2000 vines at a spacing of 1.5m so I'm reckoning that's just under 3km (yikes). The only rolls I've seen so far have been 1m wide but if I could find narrower that would be great. The rows will be 2m apart so with 1m fabric, we'd only have 1m of grass between them - which in turn means the tractor will be driving on the fabric. I've only sourced it by the tens of metres before to put around the fruit trees so this is a whole different enterprise....

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 10:16:52 pm »
http://www.scotplantsdirect.co.uk/weed-fabric-matting-membrane-ground-cover/prod_66.html

start here 100m x 1m roll's 30 quid,

phone and see if they'll do a deal for a bulk order...

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 10:24:28 pm »
 The stuff used in construction under paths is called geotextile....the most common brand is Terram ,,,it comes in wide rolls which you can quite easily cut into widths you require with a handsaw whilst it is still in the rolls.

Not sure how it would stack up against garden centre stuff ,I suspect it will be the same stuff, it does come in different grades.  Worth a google ?

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 10:29:33 pm »
Does the under path stuff allow water through? We need it to be porous for the sake of the vines (obviously!). Good thinking about the handsaw. I wonder whether I could do that with the lighter fabric too - the rolls are normally pretty tight.

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 10:36:13 pm »
I bought mine off eBay, 1.5x100m and I cut it in half. Was about £25 a roll including pegs
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 10:50:36 pm »
 Yes to letting water through

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 12:55:38 pm »
I recently purchased 100m of this stuff http://www.hy-tex.co.uk/index.php/products/biodegradables/ecotex-mulchmat direct from the manufacturer. I used it for planting hedging. I wanted something that would biodegrade after about 3 years once the hedge was established. It was much nicer than the plastic stuff to plant through.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 01:59:52 pm »
I think that's similar to what I used for my first batch of tree planting although mine had recycled fibre in it. It's pretty much trashed now though (after a year) and I've just mulched over the top of most of them with manure and put a non-biodegradable mulch mat over the top of that. It wasn't entirely the mats' fault - the poultry loved to pull at the fibres and the mower trimmed the edges of most - so maybe I should think about it again but I seem to remember it was more expensive? I can't see the price on the link?

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 05:48:12 pm »
All the other brands of biodegradable ones I researched broke down after 12 months max. The reason I went for that one is that it last 3-5 years. If you phone them and tell them how much you are after they will give you a price.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 10:39:59 pm »
Thanks all. I've just mailed the Scots plant link to see if they can do a good deal on the fabric plus spiral tree guards and canes. The advantage is I can get them all from the same place and I worry a bit about eBay suppliers for something so critical sometimes (to be fair I've never had a problem but this is such a big quantity, I'd be sourcing from lots of different places). They're good on price too - if I can cut the 150cm roll into two rolls of 75cm, it works out as £16.50 per 100m for the lightest weight or £22.50 for the 70gsm (which I might go for - may withstand our mowing slightly better). Even better if I can get a discount.

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 10:26:59 pm »
If you're still looking for a supplier, try:

http://www.allplas.co.uk/acatalog/Weed_Control_Fabric.html

they do all sorts of plastic, netting, rope etc.

Sue

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 10:37:47 pm »
Thanks! Scotsplants gave me 10% off for the bulk order so I got the heavier weight for just over £20 per hundred metres.  So I've ordered it plus the canes and tree guards. Onto the next challenge - subsoil slicing  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS