Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Polytunnel Drainage  (Read 4659 times)

ScribbleUk

• Joined Sep 2012
Polytunnel Drainage
« on: January 27, 2014, 09:23:44 pm »
Hi,

I'm thinking of moving one of the polytunnels to a more sheltered part of the field this year.  It's current location is a bit exposed to wind.  I use a ground cover sheet and then raised beds on top in the polytunnel, but with all the heavy rain the soil has got quite soft under the ground cover sheet leading to trenches forming in the paths and then filling with water. 

Any recommendations what could be done to help prevent/minimise this in the new location? 

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Polytunnel Drainage
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 09:35:46 pm »
i saw a lovely polytunnel with raised beds and a floor of big woodchips. if it works for horse arenas im sure it would work in a polytunnel.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 12:28:16 am »
I use wooden boards to walk on.  Easy to move around and spread the load.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Stellan Vert

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 09:38:49 am »
Hi All  :wave:

I saw the NT use chippings, years ago, on woodland paths that ran with water. The water was eroding the paths. The chippings stabilised the paths and produced a smooth surface.

I have used this technique around raised beds and on our clay paths (Stops them being slippy) successfully, I would consider it in a polytunnel.

SV.

ScribbleUk

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 10:06:26 am »
Thanks - will look into the chippings idea - hadn't thought of that.  I wonder if they would encourage mould or algae being kept in a humid atmosphere?

Had been considering just laying some loose flagstones down on the paths as well.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 12:47:10 pm »
I remember seeing in an old copy of Permaculture magazine a polytunnel where the paths were made into water reservoirs with some sort of grid over them to walk on. This meant the raised beds didn't dry out and the water acted as a heat storage system keeping the temperature in the tunnel more consistent.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

ScribbleUk

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 04:55:10 pm »
I remember seeing in an old copy of Permaculture magazine a polytunnel where the paths were made into water reservoirs with some sort of grid over them to walk on. This meant the raised beds didn't dry out and the water acted as a heat storage system keeping the temperature in the tunnel more consistent.

Interesting idea but sounds expensive to get the grate coverings I suspect.  I have toyed with a couple of permaculture ideas for heat retention such as using a couple of black IBC containers or running coiled pipe through our every increasing compost pile and then under the raised beds.  It would be interesting to see feedback on the real-world benefits.  Most of what I have read looks at the set-up only, but doesn't review after a full season to see if the ideas had worked as expected and worth the effort. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS