Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dog Rant  (Read 12599 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Dog Rant
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2009, 12:36:08 pm »
One of the main failings with the idea of designer dogs is that they cannot reproduce type.  If you mate a labradoodle to another labradoodle you don't get more labradoodles - you get mongrels.  Also the reason for 'inventing' this cross was to produce a non allergic coated Labrador.  Unfortunately in the majority of case it hasn't worked.  As for the other crosses it is purely money.  And now there is a dog population explosion and a lot of these dogs are coming on rescue when the system is already overloaded with pure bred dogs that people have dumped because of the recession. 
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Unicorn

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 12:42:46 pm »
The Government are to blame for two reasons:-

1  No Dog Licence and no control over dog breeding etc.

2  No Education regarding the costs and responsibilites for keeping animals at Senior School Level

xnbacon

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2009, 02:54:40 pm »
I think its a lack of a sense of personal responsibility in a large portion of society.

Personally I can quite happily do without any more government interference - especially since every time (it seems) that I have to deal with one of their departments they make mistakes.  We already have sufficient legislation to sink a battleship!!

Troubled Waters

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2009, 03:25:15 pm »
The stories of dogs (and other animals) being abandoned due to the recession really upset me.  I would never dream of getting rid.  I have been without already this year and we cut back as much as we have to just to make sure we can look after and feed them.  They are our responsibility and we commited to that when we got them.
I know some people really really have no choice to give up their dogs, and they are the ones that really love them and have triesd everything else first.  the othes are just using it as an excuse and don't want to cut back on Sky TV or eating out etc.

rant rant rant.  gotta get home and give my pooches a big hug now, make me feel all churned up inside.  :dog: :dog:

sandy

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2009, 03:39:00 pm »
Some people will just follow trends, designer dog's!!!! don't they understand they are being conned!!!!! I only went for a pure breed this time as you usualy know what type of temparment and charactor traits they should have, we have been to rescue centers before but in the end found only the big dogs wanting homes and if you get a big dog with a problem it will cause more problems than a small one!! anyway fashion and people wanting that something different are to blame. >:( >:( >:(and of course stupid people!!!!!!! must admit, I saw a lovely labradoodle and wanted one myself  ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2009, 05:38:54 pm »
I have only ever seen one nice labradoodle and that is QWOLF's boy. Bilbo.  He is wonderful, and if I could have snuck him out to my car he'd have come home with Lucky!  mind you I'd have had to take Lizzie, their two sons,and Grannie too I shouldn't wonder.  And the trampoline!  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2009, 09:02:52 pm »
I have 2 neighbours - 1 called John with a Labradoodle called Molley (who is gorgeous). My other neighbour, also called, also has a dog called Molly!  She is an Irish and White Setter (I think) who was overbred beaten and then dumped!  John got her from a dog's home - she's lovely, but does need a good supportive bra!!

suzanne

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2009, 07:08:34 pm »
Hi,

I'd like to add my tuppence worth against some dog breeders.  Our first working border collie became epileptic at three and after brain scans etc. the Vet decided that it was idiopathic.  Being a novice dogowner I mistakenly thought that the breeder would want to know as the line was possibly flawed.  She, however,knew that we had bought another collie a year before and told me that I had the dogs "mixed up".   I was so incensed I decided to inform the International Sheepdog Soceity - they informed me that it was not their job to police the breeders!  I would like to add that the dog remained on medication and lived a very happy life until he was nearly 13.  Ironically the tablets  for his epilepsy attacked his liver at the end.

Recently (13 years and 6 Collies later) we rescued a dog of 2 years old (Collie again), after eight months he became ill and we had to have him euthanised after 2 weeks when the blood test results showed  acute Leukemia.  When I told the breeders (again professional) I was amazed when they told me they had had a female die of the same thing.  These people show collies and are well known on the big circuits in UK! 

In future we are avoiding so called professionals and sticking to the farm bred working collies.

Rave over!

Suzanne

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2009, 11:00:41 am »
We have a "Cockapoo"!!! living near us and what a sweet bitch she is, but I was amazed to learn that her owners had paid £600 for her--and thought they'd got a bargain!
This is more than I would ask for a champion bred whippet. When I asked them why they had paid so much for what is after all a mongrel, they said they had been told they were hypo-allergenic and that as they have a child with asthma thought they were doing the right thing. (the child's asthma, by the way hasn't improved)
I asked, why not a pure bred poodle and they told me, no, that wouldn't work, it had to be crossed with something. I left at that point, bewildered to say the least, and these are perfectly normal, apparently sane and intelligent folk!! Heaven help us.
I know all breeds started out by crossing different breeds but this was done by dedicated people toward a certain goal and took at least a person's lifetime and often two or three people's to get a breed to where it is today and money never came into it.
I am tempted to cross a deerhound with a pug, call it a "Dug" and make my fortune  ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2009, 04:34:22 pm »
We have a "Cockapoo"!!! living near us and what a sweet bitch she is, but I was amazed to learn that her owners had paid £600 for her--and thought they'd got a bargain!
This is more than I would ask for a champion bred whippet. When I asked them why they had paid so much for what is after all a mongrel, they said they had been told they were hypo-allergenic and that as they have a child with asthma thought they were doing the right thing. (the child's asthma, by the way hasn't improved)
I asked, why not a pure bred poodle and they told me, no, that wouldn't work, it had to be crossed with something. I left at that point, bewildered to say the least, and these are perfectly normal, apparently sane and intelligent folk!! Heaven help us.
I know all breeds started out by crossing different breeds but this was done by dedicated people toward a certain goal and took at least a person's lifetime and often two or three people's to get a breed to where it is today and money never came into it.
I am tempted to cross a deerhound with a pug, call it a "Dug" and make my fortune  ;)

Excellent post, Sylvia - I agree wholeheartedly.  I cannot believe people who seem intelligent can believe such utter rubbish.  If they want a mongrel then why not say so and pay mongrel prices.  I have no problem with having to pay a small sum for one as  believe if people get something fro nothing they treat it accordingly.  they are much more likely to look after something that cost them money.

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2009, 07:56:13 pm »
I happily paid £110 for our latest, a rescue spaniel, which brings our canine friends to three.  I dont care that I dont know what his pedigree is.  I dont care if he doesnt have a fancy name - he's just Billy to us.  And I know that the £110 goes to help find homes for other unfortunate springers.  I just wish people would think before they act - either to breed weird crosses or to take on a dog they know nothing about keeping.  Okay - I'll get off my soapbox now!

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2009, 08:04:58 pm »
Sylvia, I think it shows what lengths people will go to to do the right thing for their children to the point of leaving any common sense at home!

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2009, 10:24:34 pm »
Having had to rehome a dog of people who are stupid and who liked designer dogs (for those who remember titch/mitch)
People just see cuteness not the future. (btw these stupid people have now got an extra cat!!!!, so that now makes 3 cats and a large dog!!!!) Some people never learn !
Linz

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2009, 12:21:24 pm »
I was surprised once, to say the least, when an elderly couple I know decided on a Springer pup. I knew they weren't great walkers and hadn't had a dog before.
Why, I asked , had they plumped for such an active and demanding breed? Their reply, because they are so well-trained (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
It seemed that they had seen a gundog demonstration and were very impressed by a beautifully trained Welsh Springer and without seeing the work that had gone into the training had assumed they were born that way.
Needless to say by the time the poor dog was eight months old they found that a ten minute walk in the park and shouting "Sit, sit,SIT!!" was not going to work and he went into rescue.
Unfortunately, a lot of people think the same thing about Border Collies.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2009, 04:13:11 pm »
A couple of friends of mine make a very good living out of dog training so it isn't that easy, and not an exact science.  Every dog is different, some breeds are easier to train than others, but Springers (Welsh or English) are not the easiest.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS