Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Brand new baby zebra born!  (Read 15090 times)

cameldairy

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Cairo, GA U.S.A.
  • South Georgia, U.S.A.
Brand new baby zebra born!
« on: September 07, 2009, 09:39:54 pm »
Look what I woke up to find this morning! I was not expecting this old girl to EVER have any more foals! She's over 30 years old, and hasn't had a foal for 2 years. She looked a little round but not like she was pregnant! Wow, I still can't hardly believe it.
1 wonderful husband, his 200 beehives,13 chickens, 8 camels, 4 zebra, 21goats,  2 pigs, 4 dogs, 1 horse, 2 ponies, 1 donkey and 1 capybara.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Brand new baby zebra born!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 09:49:48 pm »
wow!  I want one of those!!
Congrats mum and cameldairy.... can we have a baby - naming competition?!
Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 10:35:53 pm »
Ooh, thats lovely.  Do zebras normally breed to such an old age?  I have a 30 year old pony , but doubt she would breed!!  Just wondering now, how old do zebras live to?

cameldairy

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Cairo, GA U.S.A.
  • South Georgia, U.S.A.
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 11:09:20 pm »
ABSOLUTELY let's have a zebra naming contest!!!! GREAT idea! To start with, I don't know what sex it is yet, so the name would need to be for either. OR it could be for one or the other and the winner of that category would be chosen depending on the sex it turns out to be. A couple more rules I have... #1. It can't be a human name (like Sally, or Fred) AND #2. I can't have ever named an animal of mine that before. I LOVE names for zebras that start with the letter "Z", but not a deal breaker. The winner (if chosen from this site) will get some little gift mailed to them from me. OR they can come for a visit here to my farm in the states and stay in my guest bedroom in my soon to be built new home. Okay, let's get those names coming. 

I've never heard of a zebra reproducing at this age, as most don't even live this long.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 11:12:08 pm by cameldairy »
1 wonderful husband, his 200 beehives,13 chickens, 8 camels, 4 zebra, 21goats,  2 pigs, 4 dogs, 1 horse, 2 ponies, 1 donkey and 1 capybara.

Unicorn

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 11:52:35 pm »
Ziggy

cameldairy

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Cairo, GA U.S.A.
  • South Georgia, U.S.A.
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 11:53:55 pm »
Great name, but I have already had a Ziggy.

Unicorn

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 11:56:07 pm »
zigzag

Unicorn

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 12:00:16 am »
Wow you are so lucky - my favourite wild animal - I asked our Zoo Keeper friend if I would be able to keep one on the farm.
He was very negative about it, said that they are very timid and will not bond with humans, and that you need to keep at least four, and that there hard to look after unless you can build a fake savanna -

Needless to say, I was not encouraged - but would love to meet yours and see you feeding them and having them around you, what a beautiful baby - and what a surprize for you

zurprise - another name idea

Good night - speak tomorrow 

Unicorn

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 12:02:15 am »
Zebedee   

Unicorn

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 12:03:18 am »
Zappa

Unicorn

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 12:03:41 am »
Zeus

Unicorn

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 12:09:53 am »
If its a girl this name is Swahili for "Beautiful Girl"

Zanta :love:

cameldairy

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Cairo, GA U.S.A.
  • South Georgia, U.S.A.
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 12:18:25 am »
Zeus is one of my Pyrenees dogs name.  I do like zurprise! I also have had a Zigzag, a Zippy, a Zandy, a Barcode, and the Mom's name is ZuLu, the dad's name is Zorro. This is going to be hard because I have been raising zebra for over 18 years now. :o

Your zoo keeper friend was not correct.  But they are a lot harder to care for than a domestic horse. But I have kept as few as 2 together except when they have foals. Even now, my two breeders are kept on a different side of the farm as their 2 grown daughters. They will bond with humans, sometimes TOO much. My farm has NEVER looked like a savanna just lush pastures and a building to go into when they want. That being said, they can be very dangerous because their flight response is so great. And a momma zebra will KILL anything she believes is a threat to her baby if she can't get her and her baby away from it. So not for the faint of heart, that's for sure.

cameldairy

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Cairo, GA U.S.A.
  • South Georgia, U.S.A.
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 12:19:08 am »
Oooo, I like Zanta too!

HappyHippy

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 09:33:43 am »
Congratulations on your beautiful, and unexpected, new arrival  :love:
As for names -
Zappy ?
Zazzy ?
Zoom ?
Zygon ?
or Zanze ?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS