Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Gossies  (Read 10050 times)

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
Gossies
« on: March 28, 2008, 01:42:49 pm »
Looking to buy some GOS  in Brittany France. Thought I had found some but looks like I havnt due to the fact they were priced and adverised as pure and pedigree papered, but now there is a problem with the paperwork.

Ideally looking for 2 females and an intact male, age not that important, would prefer a sambo boar as I am trying to get to grips with cyclic breeding chart!!!!

Any ideas?
Thanks
Carole

ben10

• Joined Feb 2008
Re: Gossies
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 02:54:51 pm »
Have you thought about the BPA they have a link that tells you what registered pigs are available for sale, not sure about France though you might have to look at importing from the UK.
If you want a contact at the BPA mail me

Ben

Petunia

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 03:52:39 pm »
There is no problem with the paperwork Carol, as well you know.
 Shal we put it this way. If you were selling a car, would you change the log book and put it in the buyers name before it had been paid for ??????
  I dont think so.

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 04:31:57 pm »
Jeanette,

If you recall we did offer a deposit and you declined, and today during your phone conversation with Barry you stated that pig breeders in France had got together and made an agreement with the BPA regarding registration, have phoned the BPA and they have no knowledge of this.
Also if you recall you have stated you have had problems with online registration due to computer difficulties, however I have bought other pigs and had the forms returned very quickly after being sent by post.
We were not expecting something for nothing but you did advertise the GOS as being fully papered.
And no, I have never bought a car with my name already on it, but then people have never asked for my address etc before stating they would transfer papers as you did.
If you wish to discuss further as I feel this is not the place you have my e-mail address

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 05:18:58 pm »
There does seem to be a lot of confusion about birth notified and pedigree pigs.  To register a piglet, at weaning the piglets are birth notified.  Subsequently, but before selling the breeder registers the pedigree pigs in their name.  On purchase the breeder/vendor signs the bottom of the registration document, stating they have sold the piglet to the buyer.  The buyer takes the papers with the piglet, either the buyer or the vendor can send this back to the BPA who will then transfer the piglet to its new owner.

Therefore no one should be able to walk away with a registered pig without first paying for it.  Registered pigs are always sold with their papers, otherwise buyers could come back demanding paperwork for unregistered but birth notified pigs.

Hope this helps to clarify .  HM
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 05:22:39 pm by Hilarysmum »

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 06:11:37 pm »
Thank you Hillarysmum, thats what I thought, but never mind will look elsewhere for pedigre,and REGISTERED pigs. My phone today is red hot with Barry phoning the BPA,asking advice and looking for pigs, although I am still confused by the export ruling.
STILL LOOKING IN FRANCE

carole

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 06:50:32 pm »
Carole, sorry you have had these problems.  If you want to import please pm me, I have the contact details of some people importing a lorryload of pigs in April.  Failing that I should have piglets unrelated to your boar available in June, and again to another bloodline in January if that would be of use. 

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 07:19:43 pm »
OH OH OH YES
please, i will pm you for details of bloodlines etc but would consider importing however would MUCH prefer from France I can wait until June

Merci BEAUCOUP

Carole

oban

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 07:28:12 pm »
I have to agree with Petunia, no you cant have the log book with your name on it untill you have paid for the car.
  Take it we are refering to the pig owners, pedigree registration, document.

Oban

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 07:55:37 pm »
Welcome Oban - another new member to the forum which is nice.

Do you know about pigs? Another point of view is always of interest.

It is a strange how this thread has developed. In my experience so far in the pig community in France and UK infact, there is special something that most everyone shares. We all love to talk about pigs, share our experiences about pigs, and there is a whole lot of trust and respect that goes with that common bond. Every pig that we have bought so far has been bought on trust and the person selling having got to know us through internet and telephone has gone with their instincts and felt comfortable knowing that their pigs were going to a good home.  So far money hasn't changed hands until the day of collection, and paperwork has been ready and waiting on the day of collection and payment.  Perhaps the people that we have had dealings with are not part of the majority, but I personally would like to think they were. We now have pedigree pigs and will hopefully come accross as gracious towards others as most others have been towards us so far.

I am not quite sure that the car analogy is appropriate when talking about pigs or rather pedigree pigs. Animals in general would normally bring out the best in people and this would reflect in their attitude towards others. There are official guidelines to follow and the paper trail for registration of pedigrees is not a difficult one to follow. There is always help at hand for anyone in difficulties from either the BPA or other pedigree pig breeders.

I hope you enjoy TAS.  :pig:

Kate
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 10:18:53 pm by pigsatlesrues »
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 08:42:58 pm »
Oban, with the very, very best will in the world, you have misunderstood the situation.  Carole and Barry were prepared to pay a deposit prior to the pigs being registered.  It is customary for the vendor / breeder to register the pigs then the buyer pays and collects the pigs with the papers.  It appears that in this case the vendor was not prepared to register the pigs but wanted the purchasers to take the pigs on trust.  The vendor was also incorrect in suggesting that the buyer complete forms which would be sent to the BPA after the full payment and collection of the piglets.  The vendor, Janette was in fact mistaken in that she thought there was a unique agreement between PIF and the BPA that the buyer and vendor would together complete the documentation which would then be forwarded to the BPA by the vendor.  Obviously this would leave the system open to abuse by the vendor.  The pedigree registration forms are customarily completed so that on the payment for the pigs the new owner has the pedigree papers in hand. 

I personally have registered several pigs with BPA recently and have found the system simple.  In each case the purchaser has had their registration papers on the day they collected and paid for their piglets.

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 09:13:10 pm »
Hi and welcome to Oban

What a thread to come into!!!!! are you able to share any information on the legalities of the BPA, PIF, ETC, ETC.

Looking forward to your comments as I am still looking for some Gossies

Carole

ben10

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 09:46:10 pm »
Carole, I am following this thread with interest as I have stated before if you want a contact in the BPA I am able to supply that, I am looking for pigs here in France because thats where I live but if that proves difficult ,and it looks like you are having problems, then I might be forced to bring pigs from the UK. You state you are looking for gos, please PM me then we discuss further or see what Hilarysmum later in the year has to offer

Also what is this breeding chart mentioned?

Ben

oban

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2008, 01:13:31 am »
Ben,
     I thought the dear lady mentioned somewhere, Cyclic Breeding, but cant seem to find it now, strange.
 Have a look at www.gosamerica.com (think thats the address). Have a care though as not to sure the BPA  recognise this form of breeding or inbreeding as the case maybe, you will have to make your own mind up on that one. You could try asking dear lady if the next time her hubby is on the phone to the BPA ,to check it out for you.

Best of lock.

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 08:11:46 am »
Hi again Oban

The BPA do recognise cyclic breeding, and have been very helpful in advice on rare breeds, the paperwork involved etc.
Also have a contact who again is very knowledgeable on the official GOS site.
Think to import from america will prove far more difficult than from the UK- or do you have first hand knowledge of importing?
Thanks for your comments

Carole

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS