Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: THE DANGER OF DOG FOOD  (Read 2217 times)

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
THE DANGER OF DOG FOOD
« on: January 24, 2014, 09:08:09 am »

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: THE DANGER OF DOG FOOD
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 09:31:22 pm »
its going to be on TV so have this in my planner. years ago a vet in Canada did a talk on this asking why dogs got cancer. he blamed dog food and said the best thing you can do for your dog is feed only fresh meat. he mentioned the collie that could still be working well into their teens but now you were lucky to see them in double figures.

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 04:55:56 pm »
I've seen raw and so called natural prey modle feeding done really badly and tbey dogs have been in an awful state. And have seen a raw meaty bones fed dog die suddenly after a small slither of bone pierced its stomach.

There are some commercial food that is awful like living on junk food. Different food suits different dogs.i don't think you can blanket say all commercial food is bad. Esp as say a kidney diet for dogs and cats in kidney failure doubles life expectancy.

I also can find no trial work for raw or BARF diets comparing them to commercial food re life expectancy and health benefits etc. So anyone saying that barf is better is only anecdotal.

I am not completely happy with commercial diet but I'm sceptical on raw. Ideally a good home made diet would be best made with real fresh ingredients but as a vet nurse I see may people who can't get feeding out of a can or bag right let alone choosing ingredients for thier dog!
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 07:29:54 pm »
We watched the TV program expecting it to be more on what goes into our dogs food. Felt that it was a let down myself. Our dogs get a lot of fresh food, we cook chicken or mince sometimes fish. I have lost 3 dogs to cancer and decided to take a different road on feeding. So far the only time we go to the vet is when booster injection for Rascal. Jake will be 11 next Saturday and acts like a youngster. I do not feed raw.

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 08:06:40 pm »
yes I was disappointed too.  Hoped they might show the effect of the colourings in such as Bakers on a dogs behaviour.  Instead it made out the people who feed raw are weird and put bows in their dogs hair!
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS