Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: which pig  (Read 2955 times)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
which pig
« on: January 23, 2014, 06:40:24 pm »
hi,,ive got an acre of roughish grazing with 60% grass 40% docks and nettles..... had kune kunes 2 -3 years ago but they didnt graze much or dig... i wanted the land turned over they didnt really touch the docks so they increased......... what pig do you suggest...same sex only... i want the land turned over and everything uprooted (except my laurels they are 15- 20 feet tall now)..... i want slow growers small medium size at adult, kune size, say 1 year to 15 months to killing.... dont want huge holes everywhere.... just want everything uprooted and eaten so i can grass seed again later for geese.....

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: which pig
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 07:03:21 pm »
Most pigs will turn everything over...but not just the top layer with regards slow growing maybe a kune kune X off some sort

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 07:06:57 pm »
my gos was worst for making big sods, only use pigs if you are happy to maybe have to disc harrow before reseeding with grass.

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 07:23:41 pm »
Isn't Laurel poisonous to pigs  :thinking: I'm sure it is so you'd maybe be safer to fence them off.

Any of the big breeds will churn it up - if you want something slower growing what about Mangalitzas ?

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 07:41:23 pm »
We had loads of laurel in our woodlands where the pigs were, and they completely avoided it, even tiny weaners seemed to know not to touch it.   Amazing what good biochemists they are quite naturally.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 08:13:55 pm »
Portugese laurel is poisonous.  If you really want things turned over try Tamworths - but only if you have very good fences.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 08:48:14 am »
We have OSBs and they are great grazers. They did turn over ground well once grass was low or where they found their favourite roots. They make no attempt to escape or push the fencing and we have found them very easy.

We hope to have weaners available around April.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 10:32:51 am »
Do you find OSB's to be very noisy?  We once had a few and our neighbour across the valley (a mile away!) always knew when we were going to take sheep to market because we fed the pigs earlier!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 12:15:16 pm »
tamworths are very noisy, gos not quite so.
but i think my pigs trained me because if we had visitors they got extra rations just to keep them quiet enough to hold a conversation. many a conversation was lost to screaching at the gate.  very loud they were
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 12:17:31 pm by shygirl »

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 02:11:19 pm »
The OSBs are very talkative but not too noisy. They only squeal if we go up with no food and don't fuss them. Generally the conversation is quiet.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 04:21:17 pm »
We've found OSB's to be very peasant and easy to deal with pigs but boy they are slow growing. Maybe just the strain we've had I suppose. The GOS we've had were pretty noisy and lively but nice pigs. Saddlebacks are still my favourite for their good natured behaviour and potential for hitting the abattoir at an early opportunity.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 01:42:27 pm »
Hi
What about Large black pigs? they're grazing pigs. I have some gilts for sale at the moment. They are very friendly pigs and excellent to handle. When we bought large blacks we expected them to be turfing up the ground, however when we bought them we found out that they preferred to graze.
Hope this helps
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

10thletter

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Witton
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 02:03:59 pm »
I have large black x saddle back, seriously chilled friendly pigs and turn over ground beautifully.  Great joints or bacon too!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS