Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Freezer and Feed Question  (Read 3977 times)

oink

• Joined Feb 2009
Freezer and Feed Question
« on: September 05, 2009, 01:06:53 pm »
Hi all,

I'm taking my pigs to the abattoir next week.  First off, I've weighed / measured my 2 saddlebacks and they are 70kg and 82kg.  They turn 6 months old today and my gut feeling was to keep their feed at 5lb each (maybe even reduce it?) rather than raising it to 6lb, as they've already reached their weight and I don't want them to put on too much fat.  What do you guys think?

Also, will my freezer be big enough for both of them.  It's 1130mm wide, 680mm deep and 850mm high (3.7ft * 2.2ft * 2.7ft ).  I assume it will be fine but I've just been offered a bigger one and was wondering whether to get it.

Thanks a lot guys.

ps. bottle of wine and recipe book are very much ready and waiting for their return ;D

Unicorn

Re: Freezer and Feed Question
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 01:18:40 pm »
I would leave the feed the same - they sound perfect and should not be too fatty.

If I was you, and that freezers cheap - I would get it

BillyBerridge

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 01:49:28 pm »
You should never raise fattening pigs food above 5ld per day if you do they will run to fat. (rare breed)

Run your fingers down there backs, if you can clearly feel their spines then there OK. If you cant feel them at all their too fat, you should be looking for a happr medium.

If you think they are getting to fat dont be scared to cut there food right back the last few weeks before slaughter. As long as there not starved it wont affetc the meat. 

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 02:36:31 pm »
Get A Bigger Freezer!...Don't increase their food, in fact reduce it a little each day and don't feed them on slaughter day at all...good luck

Farmer
 :farmer:

re bottle of wine and receipe book...pigs can't read and they shouldn't be given alchohol...enjoy!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 03:51:29 pm »
Now Hilary would never agree with you Farmer, she read possibly wrote the book on Pig Behaviour, and loves a glass ok bucket of beer.

Oink, you will be needing the wine, to go with the taste experience of a life time.  How I envy you.

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 07:14:00 am »
Ah...but Hilary's an exceptional Pig HM...with a very indulgent Mum who loves her  ;D

Farmer

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 08:49:50 am »
OH says "Too indulgent"

Unicorn

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 10:21:18 pm »
Never listen to OH - when it comes to loving your pets and animals ;D ;D ;)

cameldairy

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Cairo, GA U.S.A.
  • South Georgia, U.S.A.
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 02:38:09 am »
I may shock a few of you with this, but here in the states we (some of us) let our pigs have "free choice feed" that means we keep the hopper always full and they can eat when ever they like. :pig: Also, the pigs that have this option, have access to lush pasture, so they have a lot more activities to keep them from just keeping their snouts in the grain. This is also how I feed all my dogs  :dog:. When fed this way from birth, they don't feel the need to over eat. The dogs are always happy and lean (not fat), the pigs are the same way. When the pigs get about 100# or so, we start feeding them a measured ration. Works very well. Just thought I would offer up a little diversity ;)
1 wonderful husband, his 200 beehives,13 chickens, 8 camels, 4 zebra, 21goats,  2 pigs, 4 dogs, 1 horse, 2 ponies, 1 donkey and 1 capybara.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 06:57:04 am »
I like that idea - with the exception of H, who genuinely would eat the whole amount, no matter how much.  She would take it as a challenge.  I could never feed Hilary under the 20 minutes to clear up rule as she would just "pig out".  (Sorry no pun intended).

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 01:25:08 pm »
I also use the adlib method of feeding for young stock - but revert to feeding times for larger animals so I can keep an eye on their progress, health, etc

Farmer

Unicorn

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 03:24:21 pm »
I also use the adlib method of feeding for young stock - but revert to feeding times for larger animals so I can keep an eye on their progress, health, etc

Farmer

We feed adlib to all our young stock too.
Overfeeding can lower production though too.
It is important not to overfeed Gilts that are ready to breed, this can stop them from getting in-pig and is unhealthy for them too.  Friends of ours thought that their sows were ready to pig and asked us to come and look - they were just very fat, and they had been feeding them far too much.  Once their feed was sorted they were in pig quickly and produced lovely, healthy and quite large first litters.

oink

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 04:57:22 pm »
Got new freezer.

Cut back slightly on feed.

I love this forum.

You guys rock!!

PS. Is pig feed cheaper in the US?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2009, 06:05:40 pm »
It is in France.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS